New
Find
Notify
Tools

16ga pheasant/grouse loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It seems my favorite load, 16ga Estate High Velocity 1-1/8oz #6, is becoming hard to find in my neck of the woods and has increased in price by $4.50/box since my last purchase.

I see that Fiocchi and Federal both make a similar loads with 1-1/8oz #6 for about $10/box. Anybody have experience with these loads?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Fiocchi. Federal has given me some troubles.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
+2 Fiocchi

+1 Estate HV

-2 Federal

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's exactly what I've heard about Federal. It looks like I'll be buying a few boxes (or maybe a case) of Fiocchi.

Thanks guys

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the B&P loads and Polywad as well. You will have to order them and have them delivered.

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a 1oz load of 7.5 for over 40 years at 1200fps killed hundreds of grouse with it. In my opinon it hard to beat that.

No reason a 1.1/8 oz load of 7.5s wouldn't work. I just prefer 7.5 then 6's no trouble with knocking them down out as far as you want to. The extra pellet count of the 7.5 is a big plus in my book.

But then I hand load all my bird loads except for the notoxi stuff but I don't have to use that for grouse here.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Hunter, B&P's all the way!

Posts: 35 | Location: Southwest Kansas | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Someone who shoots a K-gun can't be wrong Smiler I am with K80...B&P are awesome low-recoil advanced technology shells....one of the best things to have come out of Europe.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot B and P "F2" shells in my 16 gauge and use High Pheasant loads in my 12. Excellent products. For pheasant I shoot 5's on wild birds most of the time. Even over pointing dogs, these birds are often a little farther out when they flush and wild birds are a bit tougher. 6's or
7 1/2's will be good on sharpies or ruff groused...early season on ruffs when there is a lot of foliage, the heavier shot seems to be a bit better.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Collector is right about B&P's they are the best.
We have shot only B&P for several years. The F-2's in 16ga. and 20ga. #6 shot lead or Ni, whatever they have in stock. Look on the B&P
Website, when you call ask for Kerri. She knows the product well and can answer all questions.

Posts: 35 | Location: Southwest Kansas | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Grouse and Woodcock I shoot RST"S 2 1/2" 1oz
load of 8's. Are birds here in New England are up close and personal with 25yrds a long shot every now and then I might go to 7.5s late season...
Good Luck

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'll look into B&P.

For the short term, I bought a box of Federal Pheasant Forever 1-1/8. They were on special because it was the only box and the guys had to literally blow the dust off the box.