Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handloading Magic?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello Riflemen/Shotgunners: I don't get here to this forum often but do check in with other Accurate forums semi- frequently. I was talking to a hunting friend from Idaho the other night and he was discussing his shotgun. I am a regular handloader of centerfire rifle ammo but know little about shot shells. When I hunt birds I buy ammo off the shelf.
My friend is telling me that he has purchased a 12 ga. rifled barrel for his pump shotgun. He is also telling me that he can shoot a 385 grain bullet from a 3.5" shell at 2400fps or a 2.75" shell producing 1900fps. I'm not doubting this information but I just can't reconcile in my mind how these ballistics work. My thinking is that to move 350 grains of bullet at 2400fps would require approx. 50,000 cup from a medium (22-24") 40+ caliber rifle. My first question is does this type of pressure occur in a shotgun and does a pump shotgun lock up tight enough to handle this pressure? I also seem to remember from the little shot shell loading I have done that a very fast burning powder was used. Maybe even a fast pistol powder. How much of this powder is typicaly used in these 12 ga. shells loaded with rifled slugs of about 385-400 grains? I'm apparently missing some information on this subject because my experience just won't let these results occur. any help on this topic will be very much appreciated and I will hand the info. on to others as needed. Thank You, Hardley06

Posts: 24 | Location: Medford, Or. | Registered: 10 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the 2400 fps number but I think the 1900 fps is correct. The projectile weight is low, velocity high. The standard .410 slug load has been generating around 1800 fps for years. 385 grains is a hair under .9 ounces... IIRC, most shotgun loads Max out around 16 kpsi +/-.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote