Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone try HEVI-Steel yet ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted
From EnvironMetal the same guys who make Hevi-Shot.

HEVI-Steel® shells feature our newest alloy, with the density of bismuth shot (20% denser than steel shot) and the solid strength of HEVI-Shot® pellets. We can push these pellets to the highest speeds possible in shotshells, with no pellet deformation and patterns about 10% better than those of other fast steels. Then, the pellets hit with about 2.5 times more footpounds of energy at 40 yards than any competing steel shells. Better patterns and more than twice the knockdown power - at a price you can afford! This is the dream premium shell. Get them while they last!

HEVI-STEEL®

From Field & Stream,

Steel, Hard & Quick
Hevi-Steel shot from EnvironMetal (541-367-3522; http://www.hevishot.com) uses the same production methods and materials as Hevi-Shot but with less tungsten added to the mix. The resulting pellets are denser than steel but lighter and much more affordable than Hevi-Shot. Available in B, 2, 4, and 6 shot in 11/8-ounce loads, Hevi-Steel offers blistering velocities of 1550 fps and better downrange performance than standard steel. The pellets are very hard, and the loads are buffered with plastic to protect gun barrels. I shot some at ducks early last season and noted that it hit birds very hard indeed. The price runs about $19 per box of 25, $5 more than premium steel but well below Hevi-Shot’s $1.50-plus per shell. —P.B.

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
Last year I shot several boxs . 3" #4 for ducks
It is a lot better than steel shot but not as good as Hevi Shot.
About the same Gram / CC as busmith
I patterened it and you should never need a choke tighter than Mod ,I used a Brily extended IC or a Brily clyinder for decoying ducks.

I am not sure of the current price , but was told thae Macks or Cabelas have the best prices

I reload most of my waterfowel ammo and was hoping to load some Hevi Steel this fall.
I got some but ,but Hevi Shot is at this time loading all they can make.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I reload most of my waterfowel ammo

As do I, as well as all my upland loads. There's a very real possibility that some of my upland areas will become lead free due to endangered species issues in the future.

So having an effective and affordable alternative would be a good thing.

Hevi-Shot is deadly in the field but deadlier on your bank balance. $100 + shipping per 7lb. jar is pretty pricey for the 500+ quail loads I go through every season.

The Hevi-Steel 6's would probably work very well.

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
Bucks Run sports is the best and cheapest place to buy Hevi Shot and wads.
They don't sell over the net you have to call them.
They have RSI wads .
RSI loads are used by lots more of us than BP stuff.

If you are looking for a site that deals in the how to ,what to use and the little tricks .
SGCATO.com is the place .

I load steel for close ducks and some upland

There is a new NonToxic shot comeing out later this year .
It is called TSS Tungsten Super Shot it is susposed to be heaver than Hevi shot ,as hard as Hevi shot , and round .
In tests they claim 7 1/2 for ducks and 5 for geese ( even long range).
Here is a link to a test between #5 Hevi shot and #5 TSS ,the TSS penatrates lots better.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
I loved Hev-shot when I used it, especially the #6 loads for ducks, but at nearly $2 a shot, I went to Kent's Tungsten Matrix in 3" #5's, which worked fantastically at $1.29 a shot.

This year I will give the Hevi-Steel a try, but I often think I should just shoot my hundreds of rounds of regular Kent Fast steel!

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea heavy shot is awesome, but it is awesomely expensive with the amount of shooting that I do, I just use regular 3 1/2 inch kent fasteel it works great, I did shoot some hevy steel at the end of last season for late snow geese, but I really did not see a diference worth the price.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote