New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quail hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know how are the quail numbers are in west Tx this year?

Posts: 230 | Location: Palo Pinto Mountains | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was out there last week and saw a bunch south of Midland near Crane. Mostly bobs. The area has had a lot of water this year.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the Bobs are moving west. I hunted quail heavily in and around the Odessa area in the late 70s to early 90s. We never found Bobs west of Stanton in any numbers.

Posts: 13870 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope to get back to lower panhande next year. If I can talk my spouse into a couple bird dogs. I've had some great hunts out west of Childress,Tx. One lease we had was covered in blues and bobs. An old timer taught us trick to hold those running blues. We did't try it the first day and they liked to run 5 dogs to death. The second day we used it and they held in open country. We had some great shooting. Oh my those were the days!

Posts: 230 | Location: Palo Pinto Mountains | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
Our lease on the Pitchfork Ranch is littered with Bobs, and the others are Blues I believe. You can shoot limits without dogs easily out there... it's between Abilene and Lubbock..

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy hunting Bobs with dogs, but hunting blues with them is a waste of time. I can do way better moving without the dogs. It's a sight game not a scent game when you're after Blues.

Posts: 13870 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was talking to a friend a few days ago who said it looks like more birds than any time in recent years.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you call "West Texas".

Starting with the area around Midlland-Odessa and west of there, rainfall has been plentiful in mid and late summer, so quail populations should be pretty good.

However, the Rolling Plains (starting around Abilene and going north and west toward the panhandle) has only received its first summer rainfall in the last few days. There is still an opportunity for a late hatch, but prospects don't look nearly as good as last year's banner populations. South and west toward San Angelo doesn't look much better.

More so than most years, I look for 2006-07 to be spotty across "West" Texas (west of the 98th meridian), with some locally good populations but generally average to below average numbers.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote