THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    South African Beauty - Kori Bustard

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South African Beauty - Kori Bustard
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted
I took these pics a few days ago in South Africa. Kori Bustard is one of the heaviest birds in the world that is capable of flight. They are about 40 lbs in weight and a huge wing span. I estmated the wingspan on this beauty at over 8 ft.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Can anyone even hunt Kori Bustards?

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done on those pics! Beautiful bird.

Jim Koustas

Niassaland Safaris
Hunt Logic
www.huntlogic.com

E-mail:jim@huntlogic.com

Posts: 71 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA TACTICAL:

They are specially protected. Therefore they may not be hunted.

Posts: 27 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
European Royalty has had their Swans....the tribal cultures of Africa and Middle-East have their Bustards !!!

So back in the days all swans were considered property of the King...the King usually ate the swan at a special ceremony. Do some search on King Henry the VIII from Tudor dynasty in UK. Swans were protected throughout Europe and still are pretty much by tradition. Although $hit is about to hit the fan in Sacandinavia where Whooper swans are about to go on the Gamebird list because of their over abundance and aggressive behaviour towards other smaller goose and duck species. Ok enough about swans lets move on to Bustards.

In Africa...the Kori bustard was always the property of the tribal chiefs. Their beautiful feathers were used in ceremonial costumes. Bustards got protection (and they are still protected in most South African countries). Kori bustard is doing quite well on private game ranches of South Africa because it gets total protection from poaching. At 40 pounds a big male is a sight to behold when he takes to the air. Smaller bustard species (Korhaans) are also doing quite well in Africa.

In Middle-East however there is open hunting for Bustard available in Pakistan. The bustard (Houbara Bustard) to be specific is hunted legally in Pakistan by the visiting Sheikhs of the Gulf States. Most hunting is done with falcons. This brings in a lot of money into the Pakistan economy and a lot of money goes directly into operations of schools, hospitals, infrastructure of the area where the hunting takes place.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greywing:
quote:
Originally posted by MOA TACTICAL:

They are specially protected. Therefore they may not be hunted.

I smell a tongue twister in here somewhere...

Hmm. How about:

Poacher caught in act of preparing illegally taken game, warden says:

Kori bustard busting bastard basted busturd breast with mustard.

Someone had to do it.

homer Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by collector:
European Royalty has had their Swans....the tribal cultures of Africa and Middle-East have their Bustards !!!

....................... Ok enough about swans lets move on to Bustards.

In Africa...the Kori bustard was always the property of the tribal chiefs. Their beautiful feathers were used in ceremonial costumes. Bustards got protection (and they are still protected in most South African countries). Kori bustard is doing quite well on private game ranches of South Africa because it gets total protection from poaching. At 40 pounds a big male is a sight to behold when he takes to the air. Smaller bustard species (Korhaans) are also doing quite well in Africa.

Very well informed is this collector guy! Well done!

The underlying reason why the kori 'belongs' to the tribal chiefs is the heavenly taste of the birds. You simply cannot describe how this bird's meat tastes far better than any other venision. It is even better than bushpig! And that takes some doing. I had the pleasure of being a guest of a local chief in the Kalahari many years ago and was served some kori. Outstanding! [Do not now ask me about the legality of joining the feast - I was a guest in Rome, and was only doing as the Romans do...]

Kori is certainly absolutely protected in all provinces in South Africa, and thanks to this, and probably some other factors, they are doing well and the population is steadily increasing. They now occur in most of their former habitat.

A truely magnificant bird traditionally hunted by anyone, but the hunted bird was always reserved for use or disposal by the tribal chiefs!

Lovely photos!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote