THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Why I like crow shooting better than duck shooting.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why I like crow shooting better than duck shooting.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
1. Dry Land. I dont bend over just a little too much and get a overflow down the front of my waders. Been there, done that, aint comfortable.

2. I get to hunt 365 days a year. No closed season.

3. This past Sat. my hunting buddy and I killed 54 birds. 28 for me and 26 for him. No bag limit.

3. I get to shoot the cheap shells. 2 3/4, 3 dram, 1 1/8 of number 9s. I personally like the AA heavy target loads.

4. I get to use an electronic caller. I have an FX5, I dont have to blow a hand call. I am pathetic at that.

Jim B

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Good thinking Jim.

You ever eat any of them?

I knew a fellow that breasted out a pile of them and then BBQd them with a lot of Tabasco sauce, BBQ sauce and onions.

He said he managed to swallow two then just licked the sauce off three more.

When he offered some to his hunting buddies in deer camp they said they would rather eat sewer rats.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Whatever blows your hair back, but I don't hunt waterfowl just for the numbers. I love the birds, I love the sunrises, I love the marshes and I love the waters they live in. I love the wide variety of birds I have to chase, and learning how to ID them and about what they like and therefore how to hunt them. I also love the cameraderie amongst my close huinting friends. I do it because I love every bit of it all, including being wet, cold and occasionally riding on the ragged edge of disaster. I also love eating them. When I don't love it anymore, or cannot physically do it, I'll hang up my waders. Here's hoping that that day is one many, many years away.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow Jim B., you are in a great place to go after corvids.......crows are not Mexico's national bird any longer. Checked State regulations and it's all true! (only 4,665 tallied for me since 1993) r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in PA, they close the crow season for April, May and June. Don't know why, unless it's to give them Nile virus infected pests a chance to reproduce!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i just love the surprised look they get when the are dive bombing my owl decoy and i pop up and cut loose!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13443 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KG

Not so much that I am in it for the numbers but the idea that when I am out on a hunting trip with my buddy and the birds are flying well, I am not required by law to quit shooting when I reach the grand total of 6 birds. You should google the name Bob Arohnson or go to crowbusters.com. His lifetime total now is upwards of 130,000 crows. He lives and breathes crow hunting. A 500 hundred crow day is not uncommon for him.

Besides, I can effectively argue that hunting crows requires more skill and art than duck hunting.

Jim

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
Whatever blows your hair back, but I don't hunt waterfowl just for the numbers. I love the birds, I love the sunrises, I love the marshes and I love the waters they live in. I love the wide variety of birds I have to chase, and learning how to ID them and about what they like and therefore how to hunt them. I also love the cameraderie amongst my close huinting friends. I do it because I love every bit of it all, including being wet, cold and occasionally riding on the ragged edge of disaster. I also love eating them. When I don't love it anymore, or cannot physically do it, I'll hang up my waders. Here's hoping that that day is one many, many years away.

KG
Mannnn,I hear ya! I sometimes ask myself when I am wet and shivering and then about that time a flock of teal buzz me or 3 mallards are setting there wings!I am a Cajun boy and was raised hunting dem dar ducks in da swamps!I have hunted Africa and Alaska for Mean critters many times and its a rush,but I will NEVER give up Duck Hunting!...and if its numbers,go to Argentia for Ducks n Geese...we shot between 4 of us last summer almost a 1000 in 4 hunts...Awesome!...Now,thats something to "Crow" about! thumb

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
You ever eat any of them?

Sure, breast them out and brine the breasts in salted water then smack them with a tenderizing hammer. Flour them, egg them and then shake in either seasoned flour or seasoned bread crumbs. And fry like chicken.

Dip em' in a good marinara sauce and they're not bad at all.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
You're a better man than me!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't hunted crows in a long time, but use to. I had an electronic call and would set up near a trash dump and kill the hell out of them.

Ate a few, but didn't care for them much. Started using them for crab bait. At first I would skin them until I figured out that the crabs would do it for me.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote