THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Getting excited for the season

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting excited for the season
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted
removed

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Kamo Gari, I too am gearing up for duck season. We got drawn for a good blind on a local WMA area. Early season starts on sept.1st. and I will be ready. jumping

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thornell:
Kamo Gari, I too am gearing up for duck season. We got drawn for a good blind on a local WMA area. Early season starts on sept.1st. and I will be ready. jumping

The 5th for us, I believe. 'Krrr-Honk, krr-honk, BOOM, BOOM, thud, thud'. Smiler

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Her e are a few pics of some mounts.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Sweet! Where do you hunt? I have a buddy in TN that lived here for a few years, and that boy showed some of we Yankees how he and his buddies growing up did their ducking. Heated boat blinds, stove to cook breakfasts and the like. And that boy could CALL! He says now that the ducking up here spoiled him a bit though, as where he is he said that the hunting's not great, and the fishing pales in comparison. Of course, he lived on Cape Cod; not a whole lot of big saltwater fisheries down there. Smiler

I love the bull sprig and the GWT mounts. Maybe we should talk about a trip trade...Smiler

Thanks for sharing!

One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Kamo Gari, I'm sure the hunting where you are is much better. I hunt on a few lakes here in tennessee, Woods Reservoir, Tims ford, and I have hunted old hickory lake. They can produce a meager amount of birds, but not that many. We do have a fair amount of local honkers if you can figure out their patterns.
Most of our hunting is in Arkansas. I have hunted all over Arkansas on various rivers and in the flooded timber. The flooded timber is my favorite by far, ducks so close you could nearly reach out and slap them down. In Arkansas you also have rice and bean fields which are also good, but not nearly as exciting as the timber. A lot of the rice in Arkansas seems be getting replaced with cotton, and as you know ducks don't eat cotton.
I also make a trip to North Dakota every year and hunt the potholes. We usually hunt with layout blinds, but I have taken my pirouge and used it when the wind dies down which is not often. In North Dakota almost any farmer will let you hunt ducks, really good people.

As for the heated boat blinds I have used a heater on a prophane bottle and those great little cans of sterno. Breakfast is really good in the blind altho we don't do it often.

My father and I have been contemplating a trip to the north east in search of sea ducks, maybe we can get together sometime.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:

Most of our hunting is in Arkansas.

Too funny; that's what my buddy told me. Wink

quote:
As for the heated boat blinds I have used a heater on a prophane bottle and those great little cans of sterno. Breakfast is really good in the blind altho we don't do it often.

We never did it with him, but my bud used to talk about often having the first greenhead's breasts in the pan before sunrise. Smiler

quote:

My father and I have been contemplating a trip to the north east in search of sea ducks, maybe we can get together sometime.

Look no further. Really. See the pic of me in the weird-looking top half of a flying saucer, with birds off to my right? My buddy's layout boat. We *crush* them out of that thing; it rides only 6 inches out of the water, and painted battleship grey, the eiders, scoters, oldsquaw (and divers quite often) come in with the kind of abandon many have to really experience to believe). One of these days I just may bring a tennis racket for the close ones, as they often will be landing *literally* on your face.

Most times, we limit out in minutes, but I gotta' warn you, when the tender boat leaves you all alone, anchored up sometimes a half mile from shore, in deep New England Winter, you get to feeling really, REALLY small out there. Smiler That shot above you see, I killed 6 with three shots, having been in the layout for about 5 minutes. True story. I'll tell you more about it if you like, but it's something I highly recommend for any hard-core H20fowler at least once in a lifetime! Oh, and just for the sake of argument, I'll put a bull winter plumed eider against any duck in the world as far as toughness. We usually use BBs, and it's not too often that they go out right then and there; often, the tender boat has to chase them down. Imagine a bird that takes three in the face, then dives, and the next time you see him he's on the surface 150 yards away and swimming for the sun...Smiler

We'll talk about it if you like, but if you're game to come, I can arrange it. No charge, but you'd have to host us later!

Best,

KG