Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 20ga load for pheasant?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted
I hunt with a 20 Ga 3" citori for all upland birds.

The ammo is Estate 1 1/8 oz in 2 3/4" and 1 1/4oz in 3"

Pick the shot size you want but if you point the gun in the right place the birds drop a helluva long ways out.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Copper plated 6's are magic as compared to chilled shot. I have killed Pheasants at distances you wouldn't believe. I use 21.5gr. of Dupont 4756 in AA hulls with Remington #w29944 wads or the equivalent, Federal 209 for a velocity of 1,250fps. 4756 is the best powder that i've found for 20ga. field loads. Try it and you'll like it! My notes show a 27 Mec bushing. Federal 209's are 50 fps faster than Winchester with the same powder charge. Forget steel shot if you want to KILL Pheasants instead of looking for cripples. This is a 1oz. load and much more efficient than 3" loads.

Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This will be on a managed property with dogs. I would assume pointers, but I'm not positive.

Thanks for all the info guys...as always, everybody is a great help!

-Dan

Posts: 350 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 30 September 2004Reply With Quote