Find
Notify
Tools

Re: In Search Of.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Chasseur:

Since you seem to know a bit about doubles I would value your opinion on a straight grip DB I saw advertised by L.L.Bean for $1999. Apparently it's made by Sig Sauer (which I know for a very classy looking 9mm) The gun looks nice to me but that's an old (and now retired) DB lover's observation. I've never even held this L.L.Bean gun. (It's the first time that I can recall L.L.Bean promoting any shotgun and in fact this one carries its name on the plate. So I'm assuming that it's a classy firearm)

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

My knowledge of the Ll Bean guns is pretty limited. Is it one of the current ones they are selling?

If it is, Sig Arms has B. Rizzini make them for them and then they sold under the LL Bean name. I think they are similar (or virtually the same) as the very nice gun B. Rizzini makes the SA-5.

B. Rizzini makes excellent guns for the price so I've heard. I've handled a few and shot one or two but that's the limit of my experience. I'd say they rank with Berettas in the same market (and the new C. Guerini line), ie Italian O/U doubles for 1,400-3,000 range depending on finish, extras, whether is a target or field gun etc.. There both have their devoted following who say one is better (Beretta guys say Berettas are more reliable with high volume shooting, Rizzini guys say they guns are better enginered etc) just like the Parker guys used to argue with the Fox guys who argued with the LC Smith guys...

My guess would be that anything LL Bean puts their name on would be good. They and Orvis are the two last of the "classic American outfitters" since HR Geiger, Dunns, and Abercrombie and Fitch either got bought out or switched to making mall clothing. The only thing I'm not completely sure of his which Rizzini makes them, I think its B. Rizzini which makes some good guns, but there or other Rizzinis which are not so good...

Check out this forum and see what the guys say: www.shootingsportsman.com

Chasseur

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chasseur:

Many thanks for the informative post. (yes, it is a current L.L.Bean gun that I saw in their last catalog a few weeks ago)

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerald,

No problem. Always good to dicuss nice double guns

They seem to be good guns.

For a nice O/U I really like Beretta's 686 series.

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote