THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Finally a good duck hunt on our place in Mexico

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally a good duck hunt on our place in Mexico
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So this year has been terrible, but the ducks finally showed up last wednesday....

Sunday morning started like any other, woke up at 6am, loaded everything up in my truck and headed out to my place which is approximately 80 miles from my house, I was not very excited about going hunting because the hunting this year has sucked pretty bad at our place, opening day we did terrible and last sunday I only shot 8 ducks, however I will only be able to hunt 2 more sundays this year because of work, and so I decided to go out there..... glad I did.

I decided to go alone since the hunting had been so terrible and I did not want to bring a friend only to have a bad hunt, however when i arrived at our place, I recieved reports from the bird boys that a "huge" push of birds had arrived wednesday afternoon, and that our lagoon was covered in big ducks...

As we rowed out to the bling, we kicked up about a thousand birds of the first hole we crossed, and another thousand from the hole where the blind I was going to was located. I waited untill 8:30 when the first shot was supposed to go off, and as soon as it did, there were thousands and thousands of ducks in the air..... It was like a south texas dove hunt, but better........

I had about 50 ducks down in less than 45 minutes, and after that the action tapered off a bit........

Ended up with 83 ducks picked up, over a hundred shot and 2 coots that came flying in which I thought was kind of cool. Quite a few birds were lost because once they get in the tule grass they are impossible to retrieve, and my dog couldnt pick them up fast enough, plus after about 30 she was beat....

We have shot over a hundred before, but it has always been with 2 or 3 people in the blind, never alone. If I had had another good shooter in the blind, I think we could have easily gotten 150.....

here are some pictures....

THE SETUP

[IMG]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/decoys21.jpg [/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/decoysmontana.jpg [/IMG]

And here are the results..... 83 picked up plus 2 coots....

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's a helluva duck shoot !!!