Find
Notify
Tools

Sandhill Cranes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted
Anybody have any sandhill crane stories or experience this year?

We just finished our crane hunt here in Arizona, and it was a fabulous hunt.

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish we could hunt them here. Thousands of the rats with wings.

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I've shot... well ugh, let's say "many dozens" of them because I don't want to sound too bloodthirsty.

Great sandhill crane hunting in Manitoba, Canada -- I was hunting around Delta/Portage la Prairie. You haven't lived until you have had a flock of 5000 birds come in to the decoys... [Smile] (both sandhill cranes and snow geese flocks of this size sure got my heart going!

jpb

[ 11-17-2003, 19:00: Message edited by: jpb ]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Greg-montana>
posted
Here in Montana they are getting more plentiful, but not thick. We have to get special permit for them I think. Are they any good to eat?

Greg

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Guys:

Here's a picture of our recent sandhill hunt.

Jerry

-

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Here is my two sons with our limits.

Jerry  -

[ 11-21-2003, 07:47: Message edited by: Jerry Eden ]

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Still learning to post, so I guess I screw up a lot. Heres the pic.

Jerry  -

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Those who have hunted and killed a Sandhill Crane, how big are they in weight? How fast do they fly? And what size of Hevi-Shot or Bismuth would be ideal to smack one?

Thanks!

Also, if you care to possibly explain "how," "How are Sandhill Cranes hunted?"

Posts: 56 | Location: North Wett WA | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,
Very ugly birds but a fantastic looking dog!!!

Hawkeye47

one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
Does anyone else think they tast like roastbeef.....or is it just me. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

urdubob

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Cougar:

A crane probobly averages 10-11 lbs with a good one at 15 lbs. With their big wings they can cover a lot of ground very quickly. They regularly fly with geese, in fact during our recent hunt one flock of cranes, which had formed a long string, had about 20 snow geese in the middle of the flight. They are very wary, so approaching them in a field won't get you a shot, but may guarnatee they won't come back to the same field in a while, if ever that season. They require more stealth than goose hunting, which is what makes them so much fun to hunt. Most guys try to study their flyway habits, and locate themselvs in an area that provides cover, to shoot them as they approach a landing site. Others use decoys, and hide around their spreads. As to shot, I used lead BB'S in a 2 3/4 1&1/2 oz of shot Federal 12 Ga Shell.

Hawkeye, I am surprised you called the birds ugly, and not the guys holding them, LOL. The dog is good looking, and she retrevied all those big buggers.

URDUBOB, Rib eye in the sky. If you don't cook them to death they do taste like beef.

Jerry