New
Find
Notify
Tools

Capercaillie
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was at a SCI Banquet a month ago and a Local Taxidermist had on on his table. The Bird
realy looks neat . Where is there a Huntable population. I know they are from Europe ,would it be an expencive Hunt.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen threads on here about them, mostly from norse countries.........and IIRC, they are usually shot at night, and with rifles.

This info and $7 will get you a fancy coffee at Starbuck's. hilbily

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
You can hunt them in Europe or Asia. They are a trophy bird at par with Himalayan Snowcock, Ocellated Turkey, King Eider, etc.

Scandinavian countries is where you can do a great civilized hunt.

Hunting in Russia is hard, dangerous and more expensive.

Cost in Sweden will run you about $4,500 plus travel expenses. Best time to go is October.

When you are serious about going give me a jingle and I will set the hunt up for you.

A properly mounted Capercaillie trophy will bring a unique touch to your trophy room because not many people have them.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Collector......how many species do you have mounted and in your trophy room? I enjoy the individual pics you post but am curious if they all reside in some fantastic trophy room on your compound.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome mount

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
@Norton
PM sent

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They can be hunted in many different ways.
For example with a goood rifle, shooting the bird when in the top of a tree. up to 250 meters or so.

or you can just walk in the woods with your shotgun.

or you can use a dog that will find the bird and bark under the tree it sits in.

Hunting 'em costs nothing. The airplane ticket to Sweden or the hotel would be the most expensive part of the hunt.

they can be very aggressive during the rut and it is not uncommon that they attack people or cars that get in their way.

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote