THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    I want a new side by side, help me pick it out.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a new side by side, help me pick it out.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It will be used for dove and quail ONLY so I am thinking 20 ga.

I like the smaller angle opening of a SxS.

MUST have double triggers (my 12 has double triggers, and my 470 NE has double triggers)

extractors/ejectors...IDGARA

stock... Monte Carlo (I can always have it restocked if it is a straight stock)

safety: I would prefer a manual safety

So, what are my options

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
AYA, Arrietta, Ugartecha, Arrizabalaga, Beretta (single trigger), and lots of boxlock used British guns. A trade name Brit gun in a boxlock should be under $6000, and if it's rough $2400.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Take a look at www.guntrader.co.uk $6000 will buy you a LOT of gun there !
I dont know how you go about importing it to wherever you are.

Posts: 457 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crowrifle:
Think 16.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas...otguns&cm_ite=netcon

No disrespect to Merkel but at 6lbs 10 ozs. thats more like a 12 bore to my mind.
An English 16 or 20 bore should weigh in under 6 lbs.

Posts: 457 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rine,

Do you mind me asking how much you're wanting to put in to this shotgun.

SxS's run such a gamut of prices.

I agree, though, a 16 would be nice.

Also, are you set on a new gun? Or would a "classic" be okay with you?

Ken

Posts: 190 | Location: Mountains of Virginia | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
You might consider this litle 16 bore Holland & Holland I have listed here on the AR classifeids.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Sorry The photo did'nt come up the first time.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken in VA:
Rine,

Ken

Ken, those are great questions
Price less than 3k to include restocking and choke tubes (500 for a new stock and 500 for the chokes plus 2k for the gun)

16 would be hard to feed in central Texas not impossible but hard

I am leaning towards new as I don't want to be the guy who traded a straight stock on the sweet Holand to put a pistol grip on it, I don't think I could live with...well, I could, but you all would not let me live it down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
You might consider this litle 16 bore Holland & Holland I have listed here on the AR classifeids.

Very nice, good price too, but out of my range. If my pop was still alive, I might have had to get that for him though.

One of Us
Picture of Bill Poole
posted Hide Post
My first Post

I have a Garbi
http://www.williamlarkinmoore.com/
These guys are near me in Arizona, GREAT people and GREAT guns!

I also have a pair of CZ bobwhite's (turkish) one in 20, one in 28.

Poole

-
Bill Poole
Scottsdale, AZ
http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/

Posts: 50 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 08 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Stay away from anything made in Turkey. The new Kimber is made in Turkey and the Kimber and Huglu, Artemis....etc are not good value.

I imported 17 Huglus and Artemis shotguns in 2000 and I cracked the reciver on two of them after 500 rounds.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
16 b shotshells in 2.5 inch length are available from RST. Woodcock Hill in Pa. also sells British shotshells in 16 & other gauges.
Finding good quality ammo for your 16b will not be difficult. A 16b S X S is a nice bird gun- Good Luck!

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rine,
I would check out CDNN's catalog. They've got some great deals right now on a variety of doubles.
I went through much the same thing a couple of months ago. I was looking for something that was 20 ga. with SG and DT, plus tubes.
I ended up purchasing a Weatherby Athena D'Italia from CDNN. They had the absolute best price of anyone (by about $1,000).
I looked at several shotguns. I really liked the Beretta Silver Hawk and the Franchi Highlander, however, neither is currently available with DT.
The new Smith-Wessons look great and there are some really good reports out there on them, but I was never able to lay my hands on one to examine.
The most beneficial thing I did was put every SxS I came across to my shoulder. I weeded several out by doing that.
After all was said and done, the Weatherby one out. With that said though, there were several that I couldn't find to try including Aya, SKB, and some others.
The 20 ga. Athena is not a super lightweight as far as SxS 20's go. Mine comes in at just under 6.5 lbs.
If you decide you'd accept a used gun, then your options, obviously, increase exponentially. As far as used guns go, I don't think you'd be going wrong with an LC Smith. Solid, solid guns.
If you could find one, you might try to lay your hands on a Beretta Silver Hawk Featherweight. They were made in the late 50's to early 60's I believe. Wonderful shotguns, that won't break the bank account. I've got one in 16 ga. that's just a joy.
A SxS shotgun, IMHO, is a very personal thing (just like a double rifle). Only you have to be happy.
Ken

Posts: 190 | Location: Mountains of Virginia | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, just realized you may not be familiar with CDNN. Here's the link: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

You have to download the catalog.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might take a look at the C.S.M.S. 20ga RBL Launch Edition ---- starts at about $2800 and up depending on the level of wood. I have one for sale but it has a single-trigger and "killer" wood. They're very well made but I've been shooting heavy O/U's for so long it moves too quickly for me. Here's a photo of mine.

They come in a very nice leather case with lots of aaccessories --- mine was a few dollars more tha $4K with a single-trigger, beavertail forend and their highest grade wood.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
I just picked this 16ga Heym up made in 1934. She's a sweetheart at 5 3/4 lbs. Just the features I wanted in a bird gun. There are plenty of nice ones around when you look. Just depends on what you like.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dukxdog:
I just picked this 16ga Heym up made in 1934. She's a sweetheart at 5 3/4 lbs. Just the features I wanted in a bird gun. There are plenty of nice ones around when you look. Just depends on what you like.

Duxdog,

I don't know.....@ 5.75 lbs, SHE might be a little bit chunky.... beer

Beautiful shotgun.....Congrats!!

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rine,

I have been shooting a 28 gauge Parker Repro for the last 20 years..... very happy!

Double triggers, extra barrels (26" Quail 1/2 and 28" M/F).. English grip, and splinter forearm.

The Arizona quail and North Dakota pheasant HATE this gun.....

Good luck in your choice.. beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know where you will be hunting dove? If it is in Texas, I would get a 20 gauge with a semi beavertail forend. Barrels can get to hot to hold in September down here (90-100 degrees). The CSMC RBL's are durable guns.
I am a big FOX fan for a nice light weight double and can be serviced easily in the USA.
16's are nice for pheasant.
I love 28's as well but unless you hand load they get pricey!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard of Fausti?

The Arrietta and the Ugartecha are ahead so far but someone told me to check the Fausti out as well and they look OK to me. I have had the opportunity to handle a 12 ga Ugartecha and a 20 Fausti (Style) but not an Arrietta.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a beautiful little Garbi 28g I don't shoot anymore if your interested.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Azguy,
You beat me to it. I shoot a Parker repro just like yours. Lovely gun. Great to carry and fun to shoot. I get compliments every time I step onto the range or out into the field.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rine Everett:
quote:
Originally posted by Ken in VA:
Rine,

Ken

Ken, those are great questions
Price less than 3k to include restocking and choke tubes (500 for a new stock and 500 for the chokes plus 2k for the gun)

16 would be hard to feed in central Texas not impossible but hard

I am leaning towards new as I don't want to be the guy who traded a straight stock on the sweet Holand to put a pistol grip on it, I don't think I could live with...well, I could, but you all would not let me live it down.

Rine,

Your price for choke tubes is WAAAY off. Mike Orlen will thread barrels for $35 each and tubes from him are less that $20, plus shipping of course.

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Side by side, quail gun, sounds like you need a 28. Merkel makes a great side by side. I have not shot one but if cost is a big factor, ruger makes the gold label side by side for about 2000-2400. I have not even handled one, just saw it in their catalogue, might at least see how it handles. I have a berretta. Side by side that's like an old friend so I can appreciate what you are after.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have been very happy with our SKB's. Remember a light weight 20ga. will have some noticeable recoil. Look for the 28 and 30 inch models as they sure swing nicer and only weigh a couple ounces more than the 26 inch guns. John