New
Find
Notify
Tools

28 gauge on ringnecks ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone ever try out these little guns on wild roosters ?

I am guessing a 28 will work about as well as a 20 at reasonable distances . A recent shoulder injury has left me unable I think to shoot my usual bigger guns , and I'm going to need something very short and light to even be able to swing a scattergun well. And it's a good excuse to try out a new gun (grin) So I am thinking about a little 28 double........

By the way , for anyone interested in hunting the Dakotas this year , some folks I know that build bins and get all over report just scads of birds wherever they go . We are out of the main pheasant belt on this end of the state , but birds are thicker than fleas on a stray hound dog . Anyone that makes it out to the prairie will get his fair share of shooting this fall.........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I use a 28 gau auto and a SKB 28 O/U
I use fast reloads and if I keep the shots close to 25 yds I never have lost a bird.

That said the 20 is lots better than the 28 if the birds are flushing wild.

IMO a properly loaded 12 gau 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz load dosn't kick any worse than my 28 and less than the 20 , but the gun weighs more.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
First, I've never even seen a 28 used on a pheasant, so with that qualification Wink let me give my opinion.

Pheasants come in two varieties. The jump at your feet, and give you lots of time to make a good shot variety is one. The second is the flush wild and give you nothing but rear end at 45 yard variety.

The first is perfectly suitable for the 28 ga. The second simply requires #4's or bigger to reliably kill, and the 28 doesn't do those big pellets terribly well.

So, with a good dog, the 28 ga. can be just as useful as any, on close birds, but those long afterburners on shots are going to have to wait till you bring heavier shot. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
I regularly hunt with a 20 gauge. I also use a 28 gauge on occasion. Early in the season for close in birds, a 28 gauge choked properly with the right loads will take them.

Late in the season, when they are running and flying hard, I prefer a 12 gauge.

Some of this will depend on whether or not you use a dog and how well the dog can hold the birds.

For a quick recoil ref take a look at:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm