THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Interesting new non-toxic 28 ga load.....

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting new non-toxic 28 ga load.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I dunno how it works but it apparently does.......here

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Them's some weird shells there, Gato.

I'm curious as to why they only used a half-ounce of shot instead of less buffering agent and perhaps another 1/8 oz of shot? I would also think that another eighth of an ounce of shot with larger #6's would be a much more potent load.

At any rate, the whole thing is pointing toward forcing us to use non-lead shot for upland birds. I'm afraid that my Luddite instincts will kick in at that point and turn me into a full-time outlaw (rather than just an occassional miscreant with tendancies toward civil disobedience.)

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since their primary purpose is not damaging high end barrels, I assume they used less and smaller shot to help insure that, but that's just my guess.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also guess that the smaller weight (1/2 oz) and pellet size (#7) is due to limited volume in the 28ga hull since a 1/2 oz steel load is about the same volume as 3/4 ozs of lead.

I have also cut open a couple of those loads and the compressed paper wad is pretty thick which probably also takes up more space than a plastic wad.

It is my understanding that Winchester is making Xpert .410 3" steel (1/2 oz of #6 steel) and planning on making an Xpert 28ga load (1/2 oz steel) this year.

Good luck.

Posts: 61 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What we need is a commercial load with 1/2 ounce of #9 Hevi-Shot for 410s.

I don't own a 28, but the loads do indeed look interesting. I have used shells from PolyWad in the past-mostly for my old 2-9/16 chambered 16s and I have never been disappointed. Even some of their light loads that they say will not function in most autos WILL cycle older Brownings if you have the friction ring and spacer in the correct location.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote