New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pentration vs expansion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not 100% sure this is the right forum or not...

I recently picked up a light weight 44 mag handgun to carry on backpacking rifle hunts in areas known for bears. While I'm not really afraid of bears, more afraid of other people who might be in the area, I thought a dual purpose defense weapon might be nice to have (bears and people).

What kind of round would you carry with you for such a weapon? Something that penetrates, or something that rapidly expands?

My guess would be that for protection against 2 legged foe, expansion would be important but for the 4 legged variety, penetration.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Rob, I carry a 3-inch M29 Lew Horton, and my defensive loads are 210 grain Silver Tip hollow points. I wouldn't want to face an angry and large animal with this load. I would rather load for bear and be confident that it will be more than adequate for any animals of the two-legged variety. That said, I would go with a hardcast flat-nosed bullet in the 320 grain range for maximum penetration. Rob, you should post this in the handgun hunting forum that is a little ways above this one. The revolver guys hang out there.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great, thanks!

I will re-post this there.

thanks!

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote