New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a noob question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since it would appear that the major manufacturers have discontinued magazine fed bolt action handguns, I'm thinking about building one. I can source new stripped actions easily (Stiller probably) for a 14" .223, but stocks are what I can't find. Does anyone make a stock that is adaptable to a Rem 700 action? Otherwise my option is to have one carved from a laminate block.

Thanks.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
McMillan and HS Precision both make a stock.

Remember for your receiver to be built as a pistol it must be initially sold as a pistol. So you need to make sure whoever sells you the reciever does so as a pistol. Might be kind of hard to get some idiot sales clerk to right it up as a pistol.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I believe what makes it a pistol is how it, the receiver, is initially assembled. If it's new and has never been assembled as a rifle, then it can be assembled as a pistol.

The way to get around the idiot sales clerk bit, would be to buy a receiver mail order and have it delivered to a local FFL holder. I've been able to rather easily find one locally that accepts shipments and does transfers very reasonably and there is no problem having a receiver put down as a pistol; not that it matters, since it's really how the receiver is initially assembled to make a working firearm.

There are State laws to consider as well. If you life in a State that requires handgun registration, you would have to purchase the receiver as a handgun receiver in order to make it into a handgun.

As for the magazine fed bit, I would say why while fully acknowledging that it's a personal thing. If it's for target use, most would feed one round at a time and, especially with a handgun hunting, you would find it VERY challenging to get off a fast second shot anyway. I hunt mainly with single shot firearms and have never found the lack of a magazine to be a handicap.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The magazine would be to keep me from having to dig ammunition out of my pockets--just to keep it handy.

Macmillan sounds good, I looked there first but didn't find them. I should call. No worries getting a pistol receiver, I have a cooperative FFL locally.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go over to Specialty Pistols that is a forum dedicated to those of us who love specialty handguns. There are a number of after market stock makers. Ask your question there or do some searches. For starters, Neal Cooper, Joel Russo, and McRee can all make stocks for your application. Good luck

Posts: 85 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote