Find
Notify
Tools

Which bullet in a 54 cal ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
Have two 54 cal rifles -- one is a Rem 700 the other a TC Fire Hawk --- what bullet is recommended??-- Being in Colorado we cannot use Sabots -- not that I would anyway -- I have previously used the T/C Maxi-Ball with considerable success on elk -- but was curious as to the opinions as if this is still the best way to go with these two weapons??
Thanks
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt elk every year with my 54 and 50. Big, slow to expand bullets are the best for killing elk. They are only a deer on paper.

I would check your accuracy with hornady 460s, maxi-ball (NOT maxi hunters) 430s, Buffalo 510s if you can still find them, and what I use, and that is NO EXCUSES 535gr 54 cal bullets.

As a warning, I have never hunted elk in Colorado with a muzzleloader. My understanding is they have some size limit on bullets. Check it out and use the heaviest, slowest to expand, bullet you can shoot well (use common sense) and is legal. Good luck, elk with black powder is a kick.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if legal in colorado but I would try powerbelts. I know a lot of people don't like them but they are easy to load accurate in everything I shot. If your worried about too quick of expansion they do make a solid.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
My Remington shoots well just about anything I stuff down it.
Give some of the larger weight Bull shops a try. I think you will like them.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote