New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Son has given me a CVA Optima Pro in 50 cal. to go on a Ky muzzleloader hunt in December. I need a good starting load for it. I am thinking 100 grais of triple 7 behind a 245 sabot of some undetermined brand. I Think that loose powder would be better and I an going to try the Rem Muzzleloader 209s for ignition.

In the past I have used a 45 cal flintlock for some plinking and targets so this is a new adventure.

I want to use iron sights, but am being urged to use a scope- opinions Muzzleloading scopes?
What about in the field between shot clean up?

Am I asking too many questions.
My 280 Remington is looking a lot easier the more I get into this. There is more to know than there is in bow hunting.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'd start at 70 grains and work up. You may find something in between 80 and 90 that works very well.

For working up a load, I'd suggest swabbing the bore between every shot, and after you find a load you like see how many shots you can take before the groups open up or it becomes too difficult to load. I don't worry about cleaning in the field because I have never taken more than 3 shots in a day with a muzzle loader.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has a similar rifle and uses 2 50gr pellets of T7 with a 250gr XTP. Nicely accurate to 150yds and in his gun the pellets seem more accurate than the loose powder...and a lot less hassle in the field.
In my son's Encore, we have been using the new T7 magnum pellets vs various amounts of loose T7 with 250gr SSTs and the pellets are once again more accurate. Groups at 150yds are typically are under 2". Definitely swab the bore between shots with a slightly moist patch, it helps tremendously!
The Remington Kleenbore primers do a nice job of reducing or eliminating the T7 crud ring. The Winchester T7 primers work well too, although we've decided to stick with the Rem.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote