New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leaving pellets in a rifle??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Loaded up me and my partners ML's weekend before last, and have left the pellets and saboted bullets down the pipe, pulled the primer when heading out of the woods--is it OK to leave the pellets in there, or will they corrode the barrel, or is that only after they have ignited??

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about leaving the pellets and bullets in the barrel after the hunt or for a few days during the hunt?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buglemine, I'm talking about leaving them in during the hunting season, maybe 3-4 weeks if you don't get a shot, or between shots. They've been in our rifles for 12 days now, today is day 13.

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
you can leave them in for a year if you wish,pyrodex is not corrosive until fired

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks jb, that's what I was trying to cypher out!

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Not a good idea to leave them in your gun for even a few days. Most black powder substitutes are either acid based or sugar based. Both types are hygroscopic, meaning that they attract moisture much like real black powder does. Given the nature of the bases, do you really want to leave an acid based substance in your bore ??? Some of these substitutes have proven to be even more corrosive than real black powder.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowhuntrrl:
Not a good idea to leave them in your gun for even a few days. Most black powder substitutes are either acid based or sugar based. Both types are hygroscopic, meaning that they attract moisture much like real black powder does. Given the nature of the bases, do you really want to leave an acid based substance in your bore ??? Some of these substitutes have proven to be even more corrosive than real black powder.

Especially since you will be bringing the rifle from cooler outdoor temps to indoor warm temps. I'd say at the end of the hunt fire to clear and then clean it and oil

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowhuntrrl:
once fired they are corrosive.not before.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I can't say about Pellets but I have left Pyrodex RS in my Stainless 54cal for over a year with a piece of leather sealing the nipple.
Since it hadnt been shot I didnt want to waste the charge.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
actually,I can only speak for blackpowder and pyrodex.I havent used any of the newer stuff bewildered

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have left Pyrodex pellets and sabot/bullet in a clean bore from one year's season to the next. No visible issues when I have cleaned the bore after firing it at "next year's" sight in. I remove the breech plug to clean and the there have been no issues with corrosion.

BTW, the year old loads always fire too. T/C 45cal stainless Omega.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had the following experience. Removed cap, and brought gun into house for the night. Temp. outside, under 20 degrees/inside 68 degrees. Temp change caused condensation in the barrel, and the next day the charge would not fire. Cost me a deer.
Do as you think is best.

I learned everything I will ever need to know about "Islam" on Sept. 11th, 2001

Posts: 106 | Location: Mid_Hudson Valley of New York | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yankee Doodle:
Had the following experience. Removed cap, and brought gun into house for the night. Temp. outside, under 20 degrees/inside 68 degrees. Temp change caused condensation in the barrel, and the next day the charge would not fire. Cost me a deer.
Do as you think is best.

Good intel Yankee Doodle, do you leave your rifle out in the truck now or what???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, I lock it in the unheated shed. The first time you make a mistake it's ignorance. Making the same mistake again is stupidity. I may be crazy, but I ain't stupid.

I learned everything I will ever need to know about "Islam" on Sept. 11th, 2001

Posts: 106 | Location: Mid_Hudson Valley of New York | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Fish,

I loaded my knight a year ago and it's been sitting in the gun cabinet since last hunting season. I have no doubt at all that it woul have fired instantly and hit zero this year, but I went ahead and removed the breech plug and dropped the pellets out to reload for this season. Didn't get to fire it once again and it's back in the cabinet with pellets still in until the late ML season in Jan. If I don;t fire it then, back to the cabinet until next fall. As long as you don't fire it, no corrosion occurs.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Reloader, I actually fired it this weekend, so I'll clean her up......
and probably reload it!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black powder keeps about forever. As a gunsmith, I've had ML's come in that were "grampa's" ole gun" that had been loaded for decades. I removed the loads & sometimes tested the powder. It always flashed as well as new. That said, condensation can get in, in a humid environment & turn the charge to mud. I leave my hunting ML's loaded from year to year and never had a problem except once when I pulled the nipple to check the powder and found it damp. I also check the powder (on flinters) through the flash hole. If it isn't dry & "crunchy", I pull the load and reload it. I work on quite a few inlines that have sat with substitutes in them and the powder is usually fine. There is sometimes corrosion in the powder area, though. Never had that with real (black) powder. It's also important to have the barrel dry & clean when you load it. I think a patched ball seals the bore better than conical or sabots. You can also seal the nipple with a plug & touch holes with toothpicks.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote