ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    Precision Rifle's dead Center bullets on deer ?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Precision Rifle's dead Center bullets on deer ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone use these bullets on deer ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested too. Looks like they shoot FLAT!
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've killed three deer in food plots with the 240dc bullets. One was neck shot at 75 yards, the other two were lung shot at slightly over 125 yards. All three dropped at the shot. Load was mild-100 grains loose T7 FFFg and very accurate in a Knight Disk extreme that I bought from Randy. I tried 130 grain loads. Accuracy was poor.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I have used them for about 3 years now. I am using the 195 gr. Duplex DC. I have killed about 12 deer so far with them. All have been one shot kills. I have never recovered any bullets to look at, I have had complete pass through even on a high shoulder shot. I am using 90 gr. of loose triple 7 and a 25 ACP breach plug. They are very accurate and flat shooting.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
My wife and I used them in a local special ML hunt, but we didn't find any deer to poke holes in. They did well on paper at 100 yards.

She shoots a T/C Omega X7 with the 175 gr DC Duplex and 70 gr H777 FFFg. I used the 220 gr DC in my ULA M90 with 100 gr FFFg H777 as well.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
260 grain DCs over 130 grains of 777 shoot very well in my Encore. Unlike some of the others, I rarely get exits. The only one was on an axis deer in Texas. All other shots at pigs (8 or so) and elk (2) stayed in the animal - always against the hide on the off-side. Recovered bullets are about the size of a 50-cent piece. Sorry never weighed one, so I can't comment on weight retention. Overall I like them, though the lack of an exit wound does create its own issues (namely a sparser blood trail).

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I phoned the maker and asked his advice on this bullet. What I recall was that the all lead dead center was recommended for classic broadside shots w/out bone or dense brush. He had different recommendations depending on whether you needed shots beyond 150yds or if your needs were less. For raking shots involving bone or dense brush he did not recommend this bullet. Instead, he suggested his Keith nose (I think it was). Said a relative uses it on bears w/ success.

GVA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We took 3 deer with them this year in a T/C Omega .45 cal. used the 195 gr. bullets. Two were younger deer, one a nice sized buck, all three went down within 50 yards or so. Seems like they do pretty well. two bullets exited, one was a head-on shot that penetrated well past the diaphram(this with only one 50 grain pellet of powder, the other two were shot with 100 grain loads). the buck took the bullet in the shoulder at about 40 yards, and the bullet continued through and exited the ribs on the offside. I like what I've seen so far. JMHO

gd

posted Hide Post
I tried them last year in a T/C .50 cal. Scout pistol. 240gr DC .40 /50 cal. with 80 grs FFg black powder. I shot a 140# buck @ 35yds quartering to me. Went in front shoulder and exited through the liver. It almost took him off his feet. I could stick my hand through the hole left in the liver,it looked like I had shot it with a big ole traditional broadhead. I tested the DC's and two different weight QT's and found they all grouped exceptionally well. I may use the QT's next year as they are slightly cheaper.

Sean

one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
We used the 240gr DC's for two seasons and my son shot a good sized doe in a classic broadside shot. Bullet passed thru and left a huge exit hole. Recovered about 40 yds away, we got decent accuracy in my sons with 110gr of pyrodex but I was pushing them kinda fast in my rifle, and couldn't get that tight of groups. They worked real well on the deer all right.

woods

Savage ML'er....... a New Generation Traditionalist....... Thanks to Henry Ball

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote