New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handgun hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking at deer hunting with a muzzle loading handgun. Does anybody do that? Or does anybody have the velocities from a muzzle loader pistol?
I am not sure if they have the velocity for a humane kill.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe you can get the velocities needed for a humane kill from a BP handgun. I read somewhere that it takes about 1K of kinetic energy to take out a whitetail, and that is well beyond most bp handguns.

FWIW...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my state, Maryland, we have minimum calibre and minimum load regs.

I can get the minimum load into a Ruger Old Army. Also, I have seen several single pistols that would certainly handle the minimum load.

Off hand, I don't recall the minimum load but I think it 40 cal min and 40grs min, but I'd have to read up to be sure.

While I have carried the Old Army for deer, I have never shot a deer with it. IMO, it would be fine for close range use. Maybe I'll try it this year.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I imagine a 230 grain .530 ball from a Lyman Plains Pistol would strike about as strong a blow as a 45 ACP at close range. If a fella could get within archery distances it ought to suffice where legal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would hope to use one of the bullet shaped projectiles as opposed to a ball.Is that not an option? I don't have a muzzle loader pistol, I have no idea.
And distance would certainly be 20 yds or less.

Muzzle velocity? Anybody?

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
I would hope to use one of the bullet shaped projectiles as opposed to a ball. Is that not an option?
If you want to run sabot'd pistol bullets you might try to find a 209x50 handgun barrel for your Encore, or the Traditions Buckhunter maybe http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=P16003120 If you can find a T/C Scout pistol you can run bore diameter conicals in .45, .50, or .54. If you do find one and decide you don't want it, let me know...

posted Hide Post
The Trapper pistol from Traditions is a good one to look into. Double set trigger and it's VERY accurate.

posted Hide Post
I have taken 2 deer with a Scout 50 cal pistol topped with a TC 2.5x scope. I hunt with 80 grs of FF BP, I have not measured velocity yet.
The first deer was a 110# doe shot broadside at 80yds with a T/C breakaway sabot with a Speer 44 240gr HP. Double lung hit with a 1 1/2" exit hole.The second deer was a 140# 3 ptr @ 35 yds, taken with a Precision Rifle"s Dead Center 240gr sabot. The buck was quartering to me,entrance in front shoulder exiting out through liver and opposite side. Extensive liver damage that looked like an expandable broadhead hit. The scout is a good pistol,the early models had a blued frame while the later models had a case colored frame. The trigger pull is pretty long, but manageable. T/C will still repair them, but I think they lost most of their parts in the fire. I saw one at a local gun show for $200 last year, I paid $300 for mine the first year they came out. The 1/20 twist barrel is very sensitive to bullet/sabot combinations but it will group 2 1/2" @75 yds with the right load. T/C also made a Scout Carbine (which I have) and a Scout Rifle that I would like to find to complete the set. I think the Traditions Buckhunter pistol would be a good gun too.
Good luck with your quest, hope this info helps.

Sean

one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
Does this count? It's a 16", 209x50 Encore pistol. Using 2 pellets of T7 and 250gr XTP. Getting 3" to 4" groups at 100yds with 2X scope.

Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ML handguns are illegal as primary guns for deer in Missouri, but you can carry a .44 or larger for a backup to your ML rifle. That doesn't mean a handgun won't do the job, but check your local laws before purchasing (duh - you knew that).

Sam Fadala's book "Loading BP Guns" covers a lot of ML guns. IIRC the Encore pistol was plenty of gun with 2 50-gr. pellets, but I don't recall on the others. His book might be worth a look before you buy a gun too.

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote