New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help quick!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just woke up and realized that Alabama is going to have a special 2 week ML season in our county. I'm looking at buying either a 45cal or 50cal but would like to get one I could also use for Elk hunting. Is a 45cal legal for Elk?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:
I just woke up and realized that Alabama is going to have a special 2 week ML season in our county. I'm looking at buying either a 45cal or 50cal but would like to get one I could also use for Elk hunting. Is a 45cal legal for Elk?

You will have to check your state game laws regarding equipment requirements and what is legal under what season, etc. Don't assume that all muzzleloaders are equal, they are not.

Most folks will tell you to start at 54 for a caliber intended to take elk, me to.

Most blackpowder shooting falls into one of two groups, the primitive shooter, and the modern muzzleloader shooter. Find the one that best fits your reason for being in blackpowder, and just enjoy it.

Have fun!!!

Sacred cows make the best burgers.

Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking at inline rifles stay with a .50cal. I have killed three elk with .50cal inlines. Some states will not allow a .45. Personally I don't see the logic behind the .45 unless you need to shoot very long distances and think the smaller bullet will give you more accuracy (less drop) at distance. If so use a smaller bullet with heavier sabot in the .50 you get the same result. .50 cal stuff is more available also. The only reason to look at a .54 is if you are going traditional and plan on using ball and patch. Now the .54 makes sense. Modern inline .50cal will take anything on this continent although I would hesitate to shoot big bears with them (they shoot back!).

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I take it you haven't used a MLer before?

You are probably gonna have to get a 50 cal if you intend on hunting Elk in the Rockies.

The 50s provide more energy and usually are consistently more accurate. W/ todays saboted bullets, the trajectories of the two are very close.

I would buy a 50 cal inline, some 777, some Hornady 250 SSTs or 250 T/C Shockwaves(exact same), and some primers and get to smokin'. If it's legal to use a scope there, I'd purchase one while I was at it.

If, you've never ML hunted before you might want to read some info on the web. Just type in a search for Muzzleloading basics or just look up some of Randy Wakemans articles about MLing.

MLing is a very easy sport to get into and it can be picked up very quickly by most riflemen.

A couple of pointers:

Be sure you always seat the bullet firmly on top of the powder.

Be sure you run a damp patch (lightly touch it to your tongue) down the barrel after every couple of shots at the range. That will prevent your ram rod patch jag from getting stuck later and also help accuracy considerably.

Be dang sure you thoroughly break down and clean your weapon after a range session.

Don't get any oil in the nipple but, be sure the nipple is cleaned properly.

Use breech-plug grease or teflon tape on the breech plug threads before you reinstall the plug.

If you are shooting saboted bullets, be sure to let the barrel cool inbetween shots (The plastic sabot will get soft and accuracy will fall off.)

That just about covers the basics but, I'm sure you will lkearn alot of other tricks once you done it for a while.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hold off on the T/C Shockwaves for the moment Mark. T/C shipped out a whole bunch of them with the wrong sabots and you don't need that distraction right now.
Also,the inlines are easier to use(although I don't like them) and as stated,a 50 is all you need in one of them and the 50 is almost universal in nature as far as finding components goes.
As I said in another thread you started, I prefer the Hawken style. derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey derf, what about this guy?

Big Grin

WHUT?

Posts: 371 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you should be talking about 50 cal bullets, or slugs. if you want to shoot patched round ball for elk you will need 54. or 58 would be better in my opinion.. the 50 cal bullet weights even more than a 58 cal round ball. also the twist rate is different for round ball and bullets.. all this needs to be investigated so your happy with your purchase.. make sure your talking to a knowlegable sales man when you buy, or get a multiple positive consences here.. good luck dave..

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
U-C, I prefer the half stock. Sides, that piece is way too pretty to carrying in the bush on a common hunting trip! Big Grin derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's smokeless capable! Eeker

I should amend that to say the ACTION is smokeless capable - not sure on the rifle itself.

www.swinglock.net

WHUT?

Posts: 371 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, U-C, you have me curious(not that takes to much Big Grin) What are the details? derf

Never mind, I just opened my eyes and saw your link to Swingarms.
Oh Doonnn, I need a smilie for embaressmemt! lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with a .50 I hunt elk in southern CO. I don't think a 45 is legal there. I use a TC Encore in .50 with power belts and 777. Sabots, scopes and anything but loose powder are not legal there.

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote