Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what rifle to get for a begginer
 Login/Join

posted
First I would like to say I shot my first Blackpowder rifle to day.(sweet)
I will put in for a hunt in Oregon were you cannot use inline gunns. I know nothing about these guns but will learn as soon as i get one.
Some one please steer me in the right dirction. I want a inexspncive good shooting rifle. Say 225.00 or so
if i was talking a regular rifle i would want some one to tell me look at Savage arms good shooter but a little homley is ther a well built blackpowder rifle that some one can reccomend. Where is the best place to buy one?
I'am thinking 50 cal. Just because this is the one I shot today. Deer and maybe elk will be what it is used for.

Posts: 19 | Location: Cottonwood CA | Registered: 08 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if you want good side locks factory made look at tc arms or lyman.

but 250 that will get you a used gun thats about it try and aim alittle higher around say 450--500

remember you get what you pay for and trust me on this it very true with black powder a cheap gun will be nothing but a pain in the ass.

and when youv hunted hard for weeks on end or even days do you really want a cheap rifle in your handes when that bull elk of a lifetime if in your sights.

not truing to put you done but only giving you a suggestion.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
700 Nitro Thank you for responding Lyman seems the rifle to have I seen some great prices at http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com On these rifles.

MCB thank you for your advice do you think the 50 is big enough for elk or do I need a 54? I will use it mostly for deer. Just thinking ahead. Thank you agian......

Posts: 19 | Location: Cottonwood CA | Registered: 08 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if you use a conical a 50 will be fine but if you use round ball and 54 will be far better

if you plan on hunting more deer than anything else get the 50.

i personally use round ball only out of a muzzel loader and there for increase the size of my bore to gain projectile mass depending on what i am hunting.

i use my 8 bore .828 835 grain round ball for everything from deer to what ever i feel like.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the TC Renegade Hunter. Its got a shorter barrel, and simple design. Green Mountain Barrels make drop in barrels just for the Renegade in many calibers and twists, so if you want to go from deer to squirrel to target shooting, you can get the drop in. They come with thier own sights, nipple and ramrod.
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/catalog.aspx?catID=1InchInterchangeableBarrels

Posts: 97 | Location: Northern Lower Mich | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.cabelas.com look under hunting / optics on the left side of the page . this will open another page. look under black powder rifles and shot guns. this should give you a better idea of prices and guns alot to choose from . you also can call them and ask the gun techs questions on the diffrent brands and models . good luck . Bob

Posts: 116 | Location: N.J. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote