New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a Muzzleloader, advice please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys, I'm going to give the muzzle loader season a shot here in Massachusetts. I need some tips and reccomendations for muzzleloaders.

Looking at the Mass regs they say the following.

"What type of firearm is lawful during the Muzzleloading season?

A shoulder-fired muzzleloader .44 to .775 caliber. Barrel length must be 18 or more inches with only one barrel operative. In-line ignition systems are permitted providing the rifle loads from the muzzle and does not have a break-open or hinge action (like a single-barrel shotgun). Buckshot is prohibited. Only single projectile ammunition is permitted. Sabot rounds are legal. Powder is limited to black powder or approved substitutes. Scopes and 209 primers are legal."

Also

"Inline ignition systems are permitted providing rifle loads from the muzzle. Hinge action (break open) muzzleloaders are NOT permitted"

So I take this to mean that ML like the TC encore are not OK but the Omega would be?

I was wondering if the Savage Ml would be ok as long as I used black powder and not smokeless. It does not have a tip open action. I'm not really sure what the bolt action on these does, I assume give you a place for the primer?

Thanks!

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I just read the Mass regs on muzzleloaders and I see what they wrote about the break open action, but I would still call them to be sure. An omega or Knight would be fine. Really, when it comes down to it, all of the in-line muzzleloaders do the same thing, just in a different package. So which ever one fits you and has the features you like, is the one you should buy. Just remember to put some decent glass on it.
Wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I'm from MA and an archery and ML dealer. PM if interested, I can also give you a call with advice. I personally shoot a Knight Disk Extreme but a TC Omega is also good. Don't waste your money on Traditions or CVA, the barrels are not proof tested and IMHO, not worth losing a hand, eyesight or even worse, your life over. There are others, Knight KRB, and of course the old TC Hawkens and Renegades, as well as any flint lock.A good quality muzzleloader will last you a lifetime.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Yes the savage is a fine ML even when you have to use black powder or a sub.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowhuntrrl:
Don't waste your money on Traditions or CVA, the barrels are not proof tested and IMHO, not worth losing a hand, eyesight or even worse, your life over. There are others, Knight KRB, and of course the old TC Hawkens and Renegades, as well as any flint lock.A good quality muzzleloader will last you a lifetime.

Interesting Smiler. Which barrels ARE proof tested & by whom? Just curious. I didn't think any guns in the US are proofed since we have never had a proof law.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
The savage will work excellant with black powder or substitutes, a very good choice IMO.

Dave

If Accurate Rifles are Interesting.........I've Got Some Savage Rifles That Are Getting Mighty Interesting.....

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Maine | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips guys, I went with the Savage and I'm going to get her dialed in this weekend.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage also, I love it. It is a tack driver and a pleasure to shoot. I have not taken anything with the Savage as of yet, I just need something to step out in front of it. LOL...It sits next to my Encore Pro-hunter and my T/C Renegade and Hawkins. All of my other muzzleloaders have taken many deer and hogs. Got to love them front stuffers.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geoff, if you are like a lot of us, the black powder thing is going to get hold of you, and one MZ won't be enough. If that is what happens, look at a White. Doc has had a lot of challenges in keeping his item in the public eye, but I honestly believe his muzzleloaders are as good as it gets. I have four, three .504s and one in .410, and they are fabulous firearms. All of them are drilled and tapped for scope, come with Williams day-glo style sights, are fitted with Bold single stage triggers set right at 3# from the factory, and are stainless firearms with lam or synthetic stocks. The 50s have a 1-in 24 twist, set up to shoot heavy conicals, and all three of mine shoot 1-1/4" groups with lead, two of them will hold my own cast maxi-balls to 3-1/2" at 200 yards. The 410 White has a 1 in 18" twist, if memory serves, and it shoots a 385-grain conical from Bull Shop incredibly well.

www.whiterifles.com

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote