New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rookie cleaning question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I use # 13 Bore cleaner to clean the barrel. What should I coat it with afterwards. Will bore butter work or a light gun oil. If I use either, will granulated powder stick to the sides of the barrel after applying?

Lost in Black Powder land

Sprig

Rose lipped maidens--light foot lads!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Okie City | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
It doesn't really seem to matter, as long as you do one of them!

If powder sticks to the sides, the bullet will scrape it off when you load.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark - if you use a petroleum-based gun oil, will it contaminate the powder when you load?

I like the tagline - three hours outdoors for every one on the computer. I'm working on getting my kids to do that. Smiler

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ruined two frontstuffers using bore butter. It took the second one to teach me what had happened. Casey's Gun Sheath is #1 for protecting metal IMHO. If you are concerned with granules sticking on the first loading, dry swab before doing so. My first shot is always to simply foul the barrell evenly anyway, not to punch a paper bullseye or hit a deer. Use anything but WD40 or bore butter. Jim R

Posts: 78 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: 29 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also second the avoidance of bore butter. Any high quality light gun oil will work great!
wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wapiti7:
I also second the avoidance of bore butter. Any high quality light gun oil will work great!
wapiti7

I'm not sure it's the bore butter, as much as not cleaning well enough before putting it in the gun barrel. It's seals anything under it and causes what is called "underdeposit" or "crevice" corrosion underneath it. I used it for awhile with no problems and know many people who still use it without a problem. But others, like the post above have had problems with it.
Contrary to some info, petroleum products are not harmful to ML's. About any oil works fine if the gun is thoroughly cleaned. I have some friends who swear by olive oil and their guns are in nice shape after many years of competitive shooting.
Avoid anything with acid or strong oxidizers like vinegar or hydrogen peroxide. They enhance rusting. Also avoid anything with ammonia or most copper fouling removers in stainless barrels. They can cause pitting if left in for any length of time.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about Kroil after cleaning?

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with some of the others....butter and seasoning are for cooking, not muzzleloaders, even bore butter. I have found any good gun oil is fine. I use Break-free with no problems. I think Kroil should be fine since it is a penetrating oil as well.

I guess everyone has their own "secret formula".

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote