ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    Re: New Muzzleloader & I have a couple of questions

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: New Muzzleloader & I have a couple of questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Unless you have a different one you are going to find out the Hornady sabots are going to be difficult to get down the barrel of the Omega. I switch the sabots on Hornady bullets to Harvester sabots so they will go down the barrel on my stainless Omega. 777 pellets with 209 primers will make a crud ring just above the powder charge which will make seating a second shot properly very difficult. Even with a spit patch between shots you may have problems. Pyrodex is less of a problem but a little dirtier but it is a soft dirt whereas the 777 ring is very difficult to remove. Powerbelt bullets shoot well out of the Omega and they are a lot easier to load. I shot some real good groups when I first got my Omega with 80gr. loose Pyrodex and 348gr. Powerbelts. Don't try for magnum loads as the accuracy may not be there and it is unnecessary for most hunting situations. If you can find Black Mag3 powder it is the greatest. Very little fouling and more powerful on a volume basis than ffg 777. I find the recoil with 777 powder to be very sharp and uncomfortable. Pyrodex, black powder, American Pioneer Powder and Black Mag3 are all a lot more comfortable to shoot.

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i think mlkeith means loose pyrodex in the can, but put firm pressure on the powder with the bullet in the bore..dave

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the buy as far as scope i suggest a leupold 3-9.It is the minemum quality i buy and ibelieve that would suit your needs the best as for zero i zero @ 100yrds but it depends on your hunting requirments excuse my spelling today plz

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote