ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    Whats the Opinion of Barnes 240 Tipped Expanders vs Shock Waves?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats the Opinion of Barnes 240 Tipped Expanders vs Shock Waves?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted
Have been using the shockwaves/sst's and like the accuracy. Recently picked up a box of the new plastic tipped barnes offering and haven't had a chance to actually shoot them downrange. Anybody getting decent accuracy with em'? I prefer the barnes for integrity once inside the deer but never liked the huge open hollow point for ballistics. Any pros or cons?

woods

Savage ML'er....... a New Generation Traditionalist....... Thanks to Henry Ball

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the Barnes spitfires. They fly excellent for me and unlike the ExpanderMZ's they only have a small hollow point. From what I have been told the TMZ's will open a little faster because of the plastic tip.

one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
OK.... what I picked up to try are the TMZ's......don't mind if they open fast as they will maintain weight with no jacket to shed. I wondered about trying the spitfires also but they were out of stock. Will try the TMZ's and see how they shoot for accuracy. Thanks.

woods

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
As much as I generally prefer Barnes bullets, for smokeless applications boat tails and sabots don't mix that well at all. A smaller contact surface at the base of the bullet is an issue, as sabots want to drive themselves through sabots. With the help of boat tails, they can succeed.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I love my Shockwaves! For some reasons my Barnes shoot the exact same as my Shockwaves but the S-waves load easier. I may try to just change Sabot but I am thinking of finding someone local who is trying to get into muzzleloading who isnt shooting a T/C and I'll just give them my Barnes Bullets.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
I hear what you're saying about loading, on some of my ML'ers the barnes are a bear to push down the tube. I'm lucky that the savage isn't any problem, but oh do those shockwaves/sst's shoot tight groups. I guess the barnes appeal to me because of the rugged design if bone is contacted, I also prefer an exit hole when hunting the wet bogs and heavy regrowth areas where the deer can disappear quickly and completely sometimes. If the rain lets up I'll get to actually shoot them both sometime this weekend. Will report on the results to everyone.....I am using 43gr. of N110 so if Randy is correct and the boattail bases don't allow the sabots to seal, I will see that right away. The shockwave/sst's are just under an inch at 100yds....if the barnes aren't close I'll stick with the present load. Thanks for the input guys.

woods