ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    trajectory of 240 grn xtp in 50 cal knight

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

trajectory of 240 grn xtp in 50 cal knight
 Login/Join

posted
I have a knight wolverine that simply loves 240 grn hornady xtp bullets. The gun is 50 cal and i was wondering if anyone could save my sholder some pounding as to what I need to zero in at at 50 yards to make it dead on at 100 yards.I am pushing this load with 90 grns of ffg black powder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
well since we all know that you gun loves the 240 grain bullet one would assume its sighted in already probably at 50 yards my suggestion to you would be go out fire 3 rounds at 100 yards and if its a good group but low ajust your sights/scope to hit your desired spot.since the rifle is already sights in at 50 with your 90 grain load just back of and fire a 3 shot string at 100 and you have your answer.

what works for a guy at a 8500+ elevation in the moutain might not work for a guy at sea level in damp conditions ect...

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 240 gr XTP is an excellent bullet. It has great terminal performance on deer. I tend to use loads in the 110 to 120 grain range, but am guessing that you will find your load shoots fairly flat to 150 yards or so. 700 nitro nailed it, you gotta shoot it where you live to know.

steve nelson

Posts: 148 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
about an 1 inch to a 1.5 inchs high at 50

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johnp034
posted Hide Post
Zero at 50 would put you approx. 1.2" low at 100, 14" low at 200, assuming about 2,000 FPS.

JohnP

Posts: 939 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Lyman Deerstalker shoots the same load at around 1700fps. I am 3" high at 50 yds to zero at 100 yds. My barrel probably is a little shorter than yours. To be exact in calculating you need to know the velocity. Either way you need to shoot. Buy a lead sled and some weight and you won't be getting beat up.

Posts: 33 | Location: central PA | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I sighted my wolverine a few inches high at 50 yards with the 250 gr T/C bullet with 90 gr of 3fffg blackpowder,(the farmer was there to plow the field,and I had to quit)and it turned out to be about 6 inches high at 110, the range I shot my deer this year.
I held low behing the shoulder,and bullet impact was right below the spine.I have no idea what I get for velocity.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Whitmoyer:
Either way you need to shoot.

This.

I've also had great luck with the 240gr XTP out of my CVA Accura. Extremely accurate and will put animals down.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to handloads.com the have a really nice balistic calculator there.

That will give you all the info you need.

One has to know the vel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a 240gr .429 at 1700fps 100 yard zero

Range Velocity drop
0 1700 -0.5
50 1588 1.48
100 1486 0
150 1392 -5.93
200 1306 -15.3

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't rely on ballistics calculations or charts, or even good info from others on this one -

shoot it! - then you will know.

WHUT?

Posts: 371 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Underclocked:
Don't rely on ballistics calculations or charts, or even good info from others on this one -

shoot it! - then you will know.

I found that they are a good place to start.

I shoot a 250gr.452xtp at 1900fps and I find the table to be really close for this load and others.

No not perfect but they well give you a good idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok what if you sited at 1 " high at 100 yrds

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't consider shooting an animal at any range that I hadn't shot my rifle at. If you want a 100 yard zero, shoot your muzzleloader at 100 yards. It's really important to get some range time in with a muzzleloader if you want to be proficient with it in the field. All that shooting at 50 yards tells you is where you rifle shoots at 50 yards.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I saw a table where 90 grains of ffg blackpowder would only yield about 1300 fps.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
I got this out of my renegade. 1:28 green mountain barrel

[/URL]

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those Green Mountain barrels are good performers.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote