Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knight Disc Accuracy Problems
 Login/Join

posted
I’m having a heck of a time getting my 50 cal Knight Disc to shoot groups. I put a 3 X 9 Leupold scope on it, checked all the screws, and do a meticulous job of cleaning.
So far I have tried both pyrodex and 777 pellets, and loose 777. The bullets I have tried so far are Hornady 44 cal. 240 XTP, Hornady 45 Cal. 300 XTP, Sierra 44 Cal. 240, Speer 44 Cal. 240, all with the correct sabot sleeve, and the 245 grain PB (they about fell down the barrel). I’ve used powder charges from 80 to 120 grains with most of these bullets. I am lucky if I can get three shots on a nine inch paper plate at 100 yards, and the shots are going everywhere!
I have a decent understanding of how to shoot, and the last I checked I was still a co-holder of at least one NRA national record. I have shot stone sheep, moose, caribou, bears, deer, etc. I know what a rifle should do, and this one ain’t doing it.
Has anyone else had these accuracy problems with this rifle that they were able to cure? I’m about to cut my losses and get a new gun.
Thanks.
Goose

Posts: 25 | Location: Wooster, Ohio | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mentioned the powerbelts about fell down the barrel. Is it possible to slug the bore? Sounds like you might have one bored on the loose side of tolerances.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
Generally, 44 cal. bullets (.429) do not do nearly as well as .451 / .452 bullets.

I'd try 250 gr. MZ-Expanders-- standard fare for Knights.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've heard the 45 cal usually are a little better, so today I picked up a box of 250 grain Expanders and a box of the 250 Knight Ultra Slam bullets today. Will see if the rifle does a little better with these bullets.

The PB are pretty loose but the sabot rounds are tight. I'm starting to wonder if I got some undersized PB, but I doubt it.
Thanks guys.
Goose

Posts: 25 | Location: Wooster, Ohio | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The 250 SSTs work well in Knight rifles w/ the supplied HPH sabots and 2 777 pellets. If you can't get the SSTs you may be able to find the TC Shockwaves which are the same bullets w/ alittle different sabot.

Doesn't Knight have an accuracy gaurantee?

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Knight Disc Extreme 50 cal. Tried most of what you have and then some. Finally the Barnes/Knight 285 gr with 100 gr of 777 loose did the trick. I would also try the 245 gr bullets. I also make sure that the sabot is turning with the rifling as its loaded. Good Luck.

Rob

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
Are you running a wet patch after EVERY SHOT ? Have you tried FFF T-7 ?

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Knight Disk Extreme 50 caliber. I picked an arbitrary load of 85 grains of 3F Triple 7, a 240 gr XTP in a Harvester crush rib sabot. The first 3 shots (with open sights) clustered in to a nice 1 1/2" group at 50 yards. I think you just need to experiment a bit, but with 85-100 gr of 3F Triple 7 and some 240-300 gr sabots, you should find a sweet spot !!

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
OK, I think I am getting there. The sun came out this afternoon and it got up to 28 degrees so I headed to the range. Started off at 50 yards shooting the 250 Gr. Expanders and 100 gr of 777. Three shots measured a little over 3/4." Then moved to 100 yards and fired two, three shot groups. They measured 1 1/2" and 1 3/4." Then I shot a three shot group with the 250 gr Knight Ultra Slam bullets, also using 100 gr of 777. Another 1 1/4" group with perfect windage and 1 1/2" high! I cleaned the barrel after every shot and really took my time. These bullets and sabots were really tight in the barrel, but a patch with a couple drops of Break Free helped a little.
I'm not done working on this yet, but I would say this is a great start.
Thanks for the help guys!
Goose