New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying With a Muzzle Loader
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know the rules , in flying with a Muzzle Loader. Pyrodex and 777 are black power subs
whats the ruling.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as the rifle it is OK. Each airline has their own rules about traveling with a firearm (even though muzzleloaders are not considered a firearm by the feds the airline will consider it a firearm). Check the rules with the airline you are going to use. When it comes to powder I do not believe that there is an airline out there that will allow canisters of powder on their plane. Loaded ammunition is OK but it has to be in factory containers and stored seperate from the rifle. I suppose one could load a bunch of 45-70 cartridges with whatever powder you wanted to use and pull the bullets when you get to destination to get the powder. Generally it is better to buy the powder at the final destination if possible.

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
You will need to arrange getting your powder at your destination. You can not fly with it on an airline. It's considered an explosive !!!

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I belive the same is true for your percssion caps and 209 primers as well. The good news is there cheap

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Hopefully you will be flying to a location that has a store that sells the same powder/primers that you use!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The black powder subs fall under the same US DOT transport rules as any smokeless powder. So no canisters but single ammuntion rounds are fine. I shoot loose 777 so I load measured 100 gr. into each 300 Ultra cartridge with a tip just lightly seated. Pull the tip at your destination and dump it into a speedloader. The side of your powder canister should state that it can be transported as smokeless powder. Currently all major US carriers should allow you to pack it right with the gun. International carriers generally do not allow it to be packed in with the gun.

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried it once but it made my arms tired.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you but powder on destination you ewill have to recheck sights.
For example, Argentine BP is fine but weaker than french BP and you can only get it in FFFg.

Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typing error:
"If you buy black powder on destiantion..."

Sorry
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
pyrodex is classified as a flammable solid-not an explosive.thats why every corner store has pyro but not blackpowder.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blaser93:
Anyone know the rules , in flying with a Muzzle Loader. Pyrodex and 777 are black power subs
whats the ruling.

I just got back from my yearly muzzleloader trip and I flew Delta. I actually had a chance to talk to an FAA agent who I asked all these same questions too.

1.) You can fly with a muzzleloader in a separate case, but you MUST have an FAA approved lock on the case. If you put a lock that is not FAA approved they can cut it off and you won't be able to secure it.

2.) You cannot fly with LOOSE black powder. That means you cannot fly with granular black powder. The pyrodex pellets are not allowed if the wrapping is off the box. If it is ON the box, then the FAA agent told me that they usually let that slide, but even HE was unaware of the exact rule for that. My suggestion is Don't fly with it period.

3.) You can fly with Percussion Caps as long as they are in the original package.

4.) You can fly with prepared ammunition as long as it is in the original package.

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of madabula
posted Hide Post
I have a good freind that is a prominent Circut Court Judge and a first rate muzzleloader enthusiast.

He just returned from two trips one to Africa and the other to Australia and New Caledonia.

While I have met some world class muzzle loading hunters who do smuggle black powder and other powder substitutes on board as loaded shotgun shells and disassemble them in camp Judges tend to understand the seriousness and the nature of prisons and thus research the laws.

Black Powder is a classified explosive and can not be legally transported on commercial airlines.

Pyrodex and triple 7 are not classified as "explosive" and can be transported by air according to TSA and FAA regs. The same is true with primers. Airlines can and do make their own policies and thus it is wise to check with them. But typically pyrodex and primers in their original packaging is not questioned and or allowed.

Some countries such as New Caledonia do not allow the importation of pyrodex or triple 7 and it is therefore illegal to fly into those countries with it.

So check with the destination country before you show up with a problem.

Now all of this is qualified as;

"The way it was last week! Who knows how it will be next week! And I don't even want to think about how it will be after the elections!!!!! "

Hunt while you still can

Best Regards

Mike O

PS: Here is the new SCI world record muzzleloader leopard

Posts: 290 | Location: louisville ky | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote