New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How small for whitetail
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think 40 calibers were the most common early 19th century rifles for deer in the eastern US. Bears as well. I would probably shoot closer <75 yds and only take good broadside shots, but then that's what I generally do anyway. .40s will loose energy, velocity, etc. much quicker than .54s will using the same style of bullet. Still, it's enough - if it's legal.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Green Mountain Barrel target barrel in .40 for my TC Renegade, is this sufficiant for deer? I still have the .50 original, but the .40 shoots so much more accurate that I would like to use it for hunting. I'm talking roundball.

Posts: 97 | Location: Northern Lower Mich | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your shot better be well placed and take bone or your going on a long hike !

Posts: 1362 | Location: Madison ,NH, usa | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
your shooting from kneeling position with both correct?.. the difference at 70 yards kneeling or offhand will greatley reduce the differeenc in accuracy sometimes. that is a rest shows a big diference , offhand will show a difference but it doesnt matter much.. . the 50 will be better for deer if you can get it working.. .40 cal is ok if you pick your shots.. but you will have more .50 cal shots than 40 cal shots in my opinion. dave..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I coulnt find any regs on caliber size, so I guess it would be leagal.
I got the .50 out today and tried some sabots, 240gr hornady XTPs, they grouped a whole lot better, 3 to 4 inches at 75 yards which is adequet. I tried the round balls again and they grouped >1 foot. I dont know whats going on here the barrel used to shoot great. I cronyed them and with 90gr of FFFg, both the round balls and sabots were in the 1650 to 1750 range. I also tried Pyrodex and the velocitys were about the same.

Posts: 97 | Location: Northern Lower Mich | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well i think but don't know but most states i think the minumun for deer is 45 cal i wouldn't use less then a 50 myself i personally use 58 in an old h+r huntsman and i'm not changing unless i buy a savage ml10II with the accutrigger main reason the smokeless powder.I'm sure i would still bring the 58 out for (darn can't think of the proper word)peronal reasons being my dad and i always used this with success

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you from very recent and very embarassing personal experience that poor hit to the brisket with a .600 ball over 70 grains of FFFg will not fill the freezer. Whatever you choose, get close, get steady, pick your spot, and follow through. Me, as I'm unlikely to ever shoot a NMLRA Tradegun match, the fusil de chasse will wear a rear sight next season. Good hunting!