Find
Notify
Tools

Enough Gun?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Col K
posted
I just shot my first bunch of Hornady Lock-and-Load sabots with 250 grain bullets over 100 grn (2 x pellets) of 777 and was quite pleased with the accuracy (easilt minute-of-deer at 100 yards). I used the 100grain charge as recommended by folks in my last post. What amazed me, and possibly concerns me, was the noticable lack of recoil. This prompts my next concern as to whether or not this will be effective on whitetail... it feels like a pop-gun. What's up with this?

Posts: 350 | Location: GA by way of PA, OH, KY, TX, VA, and NC | Registered: 10 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Col K:
I just shot my first bunch of Hornady Lock-and-Load sabots with 250 grain bullets over 100 grn (2 x pellets) of 777 and was quite pleased with the accuracy (easilt minute-of-deer at 100 yards). I used the 100grain charge as recommended by folks in my last post. What amazed me, and possibly concerns me, was the noticable lack of recoil. This prompts my next concern as to whether or not this will be effective on whitetail... it feels like a pop-gun. What's up with this?

80grains of Pyrodex in my MK85 54cal will shoot through a deer neck or double lung at 100 yards with round ball or sabot. Since 777 is hotter you should not have any problem. What brand/type of smoke pole are you shooting?

Some of the black powder rifles would kick me in the cheek they were no fun to shoot. Since I am more particular about how they fit. CVA 50 hawkin style was one that came to mind.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My youngest brother killed a doe last fall with one 50 grain pellet and a Dead Center sabot. your load will more than suffice.

gd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 250 over two 50 gr pellets ought to be running about like a 44 magnum from a carbine length barrel...plenty for deer. If you question the velocity find a fella with a chronograph to check your load for you.