New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shockley's Gold question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Asking this for a friend. I like Shockley's Gold in my T/C Renegade which loves Hornady Great Plains conicals. Friend also has a T/C but is a ball and patch kinda guy. The SG powder says never, ever, use around oil, grease, etc...I suppose because of the dreaded crud ring or something like that. Anyway, he was wondering if a pre-lubed patch sitting on top of a charge of Gold for any period of time would deteriorate the powder since the patch is lubed???? I could not answer since I shoot conicals. What do ya think?? My thoughts were that a patch would not deteoriorate the powder in just a morning's hunt, say, but I would attempt to fire off the round before my afternoon hunt just to make sure. Any thoughts?

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are talking about petroleum products. Patch and other black powder lubes are not.
All petroleum oils and greases have to be removed from the bore with any black powder or substitute anyway so they are not saying anything new.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That Shockey powder is a sister to American Pioneer and Goex Pinnacle. It is sugar-based & attracted to certain forms of oils and lubes. Some users have reported getting up from their hunting blind seats after a few hours hunting -- tilting their muzzles downward & an outpouring of an ounce of water occurs from the muzzle-end.

........ Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas" ............

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
My thoughts were that a patch would not deteoriorate the powder in just a morning's hunt, say, but I would attempt to fire off the round before my afternoon hunt just to make sure.

Not required.

The residue from APP, etc. is essentially potash. It will clump on lube-- moreso than Pyro / Triple 7.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanx folks....'preciate your help!

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote