New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black bear hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Planning a black bear hunt to BC in spring.

Currently have Austin and Halleck 50 cal, shooting 295gr Powerbelts with 100gr T7. Is this enough for black bear?

Do I need scope for BC spot and stalk ? I am fairly accurate at 100 yds

one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
The load you listed is more than enough.....Accuracy is the key! How accurate is the load you shoot? Have you tried 3F T-7? The scope is up to you but, you shouldn't need it on a spot and stalk.

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boarman:
50 cal...295gr Powerbelts with 100gr T7...enough for black bear?
My 209x50 Encore likes the 295 powerbelt hp over two 50 gr pyrodex pellets, but that's my idea of a deer bullet whitetail load. Have you shot deer with this combination? If any of your deer have ever stopped the light for caliber 295 grain hollowpoint I wouldn't use it on bear. If you were shooting over bait where you have more control over shot angle and placement it might do, but the shots presented on a spot and stalk might call for deeper penetration or punching through leg or shoulder bones on the way to the boiler room. Might be worth trying their 348 or 405 gr pill for such work http://www.powerbeltbullets.com/pure.html Good hunting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't killed any deer, but taken a couple hogs, both times blew thru both of them.

I will spend time at the range before the hunt working with heavier loads.

posted Hide Post
I am not much of a Powerbelt fan for any game! I lost a fine bear a couple of years ago because of them. It was my first bear hunt and the outfitter instructed me to shoot the front shoulder of the bear. I was shooting a 50cal 300grain bullet over 100 grains of Clean Shot powder. The bear took the bullet and infact I watched him role over completely with his feet up in the air. Then he hobbled off carrying that front leg.
There was very little blood to track (mainly because it is a fat bear) and we never did find it. It was a good solid hit, and for years I couldn't figure out what I did wrong, I knew in my heart I did it all right.
Jump ahead a few years and my hunting partner who is still using the Power Belts tells me how when he shoots a deer the bullet explodes inside it (chest shot) and makes soup out of the insides.
Well, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I finally figured out that this is what happened to my bear. The bullet found its mark, the front shoulder, and just came apart against the bone. Crippling him, but not entering into the chest cavaity.
The following year I hunted the same outfitter and took a very nice bear with Barnes MZ 300 grain.