Find
Notify
Tools

45 cal In-Line Muzzleloader Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted
I am planning to buy a 45cal inline muzzle loader. I already have a SS TC Encore in 50cal and a Knight MK85 54cal but I would like to shoot 45cal power-belts or conicals. I am tired of using a sabot shooting 44cal bullets and having to fight getting them loaded for a quick follow up shot. Has anyone shot either the SS TC encore 45cal or TC Omega with 45cal power-belts or conicals? I would like to stay between 250gr to 300 grain bullets. Suggestions or comments will be welcome.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a a great excuse to buy a Contender G2 209x45 to me...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got some powerbelts a buddy gave me when he gave up on his .45 and bought a savage, but i've never shot them as I've had really good luck with dead center sabots in my .45 Omega. I may try them out when the weather improves, but I didn't have much time for experimenting this year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swede, you have expressed limiting your choice of rifles to either the TC Encore or Omega. I respect that, however, I really wish you would consider looking at a White.

If you frequent this forum, you know I own three Whites. I have shot conicals quite a bit out of all three of them, and what amazes me about the rifles is the "slip-fit" design. I was talking with Doc a few months ago and told him how easily my cast Maxi-Balls loaded in my .504 97 Whitetail Ultra Mag. He told me that the rifles were designed so you could seat the bullet with "your little finger". (The RCBS 40-400 BPS bullet loads with the same ease in my Model 97 .410 inline...)

I have held the Maxis to 3-1/2" at 200 yards on paper, and that is farther than I plan to take a shot at live game at present. I am still a bit uncertain of trajectory. But the rifle will shoot lead; it was designed to! His .451s may be a bit harder to find, but they are out there, and his web page typically lists what he has...

If you want the TC, I sincerely hope you get what you want. I personally believe the White is as good an in-line as money can buy, and they are a lot less expensive than the majority of the others...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Doubless:

What model of White are you shooting I have looked at them in the past but I don't know much about the different Models. The idea of a slip fit is very interesting. Tell me more.

Swede

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two .504s, one is a rifle that was done specifically for Sportsman's Warehouse, it is called the Model 97 Ultra Mag. A fast-twist "1 in 24" 24-inch stainless barrel, drilled and tapped for scope, with factory fitted Bold single stage trigger, factory set at 3#. Double safety system, with both a trigger safety as well as a bolt safety, laminated hardwood stock complete with swivel studs, and a 1" recoil pad. Comes factory equipped with Tru-Glo sights, sample bullets, and mine was in a hard-sided gun case. Doc's rifles are primarily designed for the #11 percussion cap. He told me the 209 primer is too violent, and it will blow a group apart. So that is what I use. My Ultra mag has the other two breach plugs (for 209 and musket cap), but I have never found a reason to use either of them.

As I said, I have shot my own ladle-cast bullets from the Lyman Maxi-Ball mould to 3-1/2" at 200, using the Leupold 6x I mounted on it. And I cast the Lyman projectiles 1:20 and push them with 100-grain vol. equiv of 777.

The second ".504", as Doc named them, is his Super 91. Same trigger, same stainless barrel/receiver, and same fast twist (22" barrel vice 24"), but this one has a differently designed bolt, much like the Springfield 1903. Still has the trigger safety, but the secondary safety is on the cocking piece. Pull it back just a bit, rotate it ~45 degrees from fire, and it is on safe. My Super 91 has a B&C stock, and besides the Maxi-Ball load, it has shot the 300-grain Hornady SSTs to just a bit over 1" with 100 grain equivalent of 777. It, too, is scoped with a Leupold 6X.

Finally, the .410, my favorite, will shoot the RCBS bullet that I told you about, into just a bit shy of 1-1/2" at 100, and that is not weighing bullets, volume charging the powder, and nothing special in seating, other than trying to be consistent. It, too, is stainless laminate, 22" barrel, and same action as the .504. Simple to disassemble and clean, and as reliable as it gets. I just insert the bullet into the funnel, use a short starter to get it down to where it contacts the rifling, and then use the ramrod to seat the bullets. It is virtually effortless, even after half a dozen shots. (The saboted bullets start to require some effort after roughly half a dozen rounds.)

I could go on, but you get the idea. I am in the Central time zone, and would welcome a phone call if you want to know more... PM me and send me a phone number if you wish. Meanwhile, Doc's website is www.whitemuzzleloading.com

And the last thing I would say is something else I have said on here before: my friend in Idaho has taken pronghorns at lazered distances of 282 yds and 304 yds, with his .504 Model 97... (He shoots 300-grain 45-cal saboted XTPs and Pyrodex RS, I believe.)

posted Hide Post
Swede,
If you are looking for a White,I may be selling one in .451 cal.Its a super 91.

I don't think you will find a better muzzleloader than a White!

Posts: 16 | Location: Central California | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
biggame, send me a PM. I would like to know about your Super 91...

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swede44mag:
I am planning to buy a 45cal inline muzzle loader. I already have a SS TC Encore in 50cal and a Knight MK85 54cal but I would like to shoot 45cal power-belts or conicals. I am tired of using a sabot shooting 44cal bullets and having to fight getting them loaded for a quick follow up shot. Has anyone shot either the SS TC encore 45cal or TC Omega with 45cal power-belts or conicals? I would like to stay between 250gr to 300 grain bullets. Suggestions or comments will be welcome.

The only 45-cal I recommend would be a White Rifle. Here is Doc White's website below. Email him to see what stock he has left in 45-cal. I would recommend either the Super-91 2nd Edition or M-98. These guns are the best conical shooters on the planet. He should have a few that are either almost like new or in very good condition - most-all refurbished & accurized by Doc White himself.

http://www.whitemuzzleloading.com/pr03.htm

........ Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas" ............

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede, I do not shoot a 45, but be careful in Kansas with it. Since you want to shoot conicals and Powerbelts, it is not a problem, but saboted 357 bullets are not legal.

quote:
Legal muzzleloading rifle for deer (regular season) - muzzleloading rifles and muskets that can be loaded only through the front of the firing chamber with separate components and that fire a bullet of .39 inches in diameter or larger.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biggameRS:
Swede,
If you are looking for a White,I may be selling one in .451 cal.Its a super 91.

I don't think you will find a better muzzleloader than a White!

If you are interested in selling send me a PM let me know what your asking price. And if you have a pic that would be helpfull.

Swede

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
Swede,

Sorry for not getting back sooner,But I sold it to a friend of mine.
I will check around & see if anyone else I know may be selling one.
The .451 super 91's are hard to beat & hard to find.Check out Doc Whites site or email him to see if he can build one for you.my favorite is the super 91 super safari's.I have 3 one in each caliber,.410,.451 & .504.

BGRS

Posts: 16 | Location: Central California | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Whites are indeed the finest conical shooters. I have 3 of them (not for sale) when you find one act quickly they don't last long.
All models are very good.
One thing the Ultra-Mags have a 26" barrel
The super 91 has a 24" barrel
The whitetail has a 22" barrel.
In the last month I have seen new whitetails go for $199 (didn't last long tho)
Redclub

Posts: 9 | Location: Fremont Wi. | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullets aren't at all hard to find for the Whites in .451 or .504 - great quality and very reasonably priced ...

Bull Shop bullets

WHUT?

Posts: 371 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote