Find
Notify
Tools

Back in the muzzle loader game
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Warhawk
posted
I haven't fired a muzzle loader in at least 20 years. When I was a kid it was tough to get a rifle deer permit in Kansas, but Arkansas had a special muzzle loader season and my family down there were mostly farmers with lots of land.

So I built a CVA rifle from a kit and took up muzzle loading. I was never satisfied with the ignition system, I had caps pop without firing the gun at least twice when shooting at deer.

Fast forward 20+ years, I bought two T/C muzzle loaders and all the kit to go with them today. #1 is a .50 cal new Englander. #2 is a Thunderhawk Shadow. Both are blued with black plastic stocks. My interest in these guns is strictly hunting the special seasons, I'm not interested in putting very much money into them.

But I do want to change the ignition system, and get away from the #11 percussion caps.

I see that T/C makes a 209 primer conversion for the Thunderhawk, and they make musket cap conversion nipples for both guns. I'm leaning toward the musket caps for the sake of commonality. I know the musket cap is a big improvement over the #11 cap, but don't know much about the 209 primer system.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Posts: 59 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
T/C has had excellent manuals, so first order of business would be to ask for a set from T/C.

Musket caps would be the logical choice for their sidelocks.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Dixie Gun Works. The used to have a 1/4 X 28 threaded nipple that was made to use a musket cap for ignition. I still use them on all my sidelocks.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The musket cap should give you all the flame you need, so if they are available for both frontstuffers, and you want to keep the ignition systems common, then that should be a good choice. JMHO

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
CCI makes a #11 Mag. cap that works well if you decide you want to stay with the # 11's too

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Warhawk
posted Hide Post
T/C has nipples for both guns that take musket caps. After my previous bad experience with the #11 caps I think I'll go with the musket caps.

Posts: 59 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back in the muzzle loader game

Centerfires and shotguns are too boring for deer/small game hunting. Wink

........ Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas" ............

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote