Notify
Tools

OK, blackpowder pistol for bear?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted
Whats the animal limits and loads?

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a copy of "History of Sullivan Co " [NY] 1873 There is a funny story about a big mouthed individual who shot a bear with single shot pistols . The bear went down dead The hunter sat on the bear and bragged loudly about his hunting skills ! Suddenly the 'dead' bear got up and ran one way as the hunter ran the other way. You may hunt a bit differently in Kentucky !! clap

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
What kind of bear (black I am assuming) and what region are you thinking about?

Have you killed one with a BP rifle yet? Might be better to do that first and then you'll have a better idea. Personally I'd be concerned about the limitations offered by a BP pistol. If you are willing to compensate for them that is a personal decision but unless you've shot a few other bears you need to be aware that you might be tempted to shoot at something that should have been only attempted with a rifle, and that might your only opportunity to take an animal that hunt. If you are willing to come away empty from a hunt is one thing, but if it is more important to have a rug than to say you passed up a bunch of shots because they were out of killing range I'd also pass on the idea of BP handguns for the time being.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
If we are just talking about blackbear, then I would consider using a .54 caliber Great Plains Pistol.

Since you will have to get close, get a big knife and wear it on the belt. You might have need of it.

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
any good custom smith can make you a 60 caliber pluss bp hand gun i would opt for a real nice 62 caliber with a 14" barrel and 120 grains of fffg powder.

or a 75 caliber and 150 grains of ffg powder.

big and heavy bullets are your friends.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The discontinued T/C Scout in 54 ought to run with the 454 and 475 out to the limits of its trajectory. A fella might carry two in case he needed a quick second shot. Wish I'd bought one when I had the chance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gentleman Jack:
Whats the animal limits and loads?

You should be fine with an accurate pistol (many aren't).... proper load of bulet & powder.....close shot, a backup "regular" pistol present & hopefully good enough placement where the bear doesn't get upset with you 'if' only injured.

Any breed of bear gets occasionally upset. Any breed of bear will come after you if he feels you are hurting him.

I know a person who was bear-attacked after firing a poorly-placed shot. Personally, I'll hunt bear with a multi-shot weapon, but not a single-shot muzzleloader.... especially a low power pistola.

I'm done here. Do as you wish!

........ Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas" ............

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find it interesting that Texas doesn't class a black powder revolver as a muzzleloader... From a purist's standpoint they are absolutely correct, but I thouught the intent of allowing a special MZ season is because the muzzleloader is a short range firearm. A BP revolver is going to certainly be that!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote