Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard loading Hornady SST ?
 Login/Join

posted
Just bought a T/C Omega a week ago. Absolutely love this gun. Shot 2 does with it yesturday. My question is why are the hornady sabots for my SST's so darn tight? I shoot the 300 gr. bullets, with 2 50 gr. pyrodex pellets. I'm thinking of getting some 777 pellets and trying that. Maybe that will help with the cleaner 777. What do you guys shoot out of your Omega with 100 gr. pellets. Shot three times at these deer, the third shot could not seat bullet all the way down. Maybe thats what I get for missing the second shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thick Hornady plastic sabots are on everything now.... even the new bullet packaging for T/C Bullets as of last month.

You can buy thinner sabots thru mmpsabots.com. Ask for HPH-24 in 45/50. You can also buy the thinner Harvester plastic Sabots. All plastic sabots come in packages of 50 for $5-$7.

Easy loading bullets for the Omega are:

Barnes Spitfire 200 gr 40/50s. (midsouthshooterssupply.com)

Harvester Sabertooth (midsouth again)

Buffalo S.S.Bs (Cabelas.com)

Precision 40/50 QTs and Dead Centers (prbullet.com)

Powerbelt Bullets (cheapest at Midsouth)

Any Hornady XTP, Nosler, Speer, Sierra bulk bullet in .429 or .451 when used with thinner plastic sabots. (reloading aisle in stores)

All T/C packaging has changed. If you can still find old stock out there that loads easy.... buy it now or kiss it goodbye. T/C Inc. has received a million complaints already. Hopefully, they will go back to the thinner sabots for their Mag Express XTPs and T/C Shockwave 250s & 300s. Hornady has always catered to Knight Rifles - which are a wider diameter bore (.503) than T/C (.501). Hornady bullets generally load easier in Knights.

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The SSTs tend to be .001" bigger than most of your .452 bullets out there. The 300s have a longer bearing surface which causes them to be tough to load. You may want to try softer sabots (The Black Knights for instance).

I've often found that the tight sabots were more accurate but, there is only one way to find out for sure in your rifle.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote