New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been contacted about working on a muzzle loader project. I shall name no names, so as to protect the guilty (or in the case the potentially insane).

This project is to manufacture a muzzle loading, in-line ignition rifle, which looks exactly like an M1918 BAR! I was asked to look over the inital design concept and make recommendations about a month ago. In reality, it is a very slick design and looks, in the computer, just like the real thing. The ramrod is a telescoping/ rotary locking affair, which fits into the mock gas cylinder under the barrel.

The rifle is to be a 45 caliber, and is expected to weigh in around 11 to 12 pounds (there were significant mass savings recommendations in my report). He plans on starting to make chips this spring/summer. Whole project should only take a few months to complete.

The individual behind this project figures it will be the, "coolest" in-line muzzle loader, in the field. Yes, he intends on hunting whitetail with it. I figure the Conservation Officers will shoot his ass, because they will think he is hunting with, well, with what it looks like he is hunting with, a f!#*ing light machine gun.

What do you think? Should I talk him out of it, if possible, or let him fulfill his "dream".

Thanks,
Scott

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think whatever floats his boat. It would be a very unique gun. The police and game wardens would probably have a good laugh over that one.

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine why I would want one, but it sounds like it could be interesting. Is the intent to be compatable with muzzleloader season? With the right optics and load, it would be a sleeper in the regular season.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything that screws with "big-brother" is good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think this is the WHOLE reason for doing it:

Quote:

The police and game wardens would probably have a good laugh over that one.

I am only concerned that they may shoot is crazy arse! He is a BAR aficionado, that is the other reason.

IF he actually does it I will try and get some pics of it to post.

Scott

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your friend is either a genius or coo-coo. Often only a very fine line separates the two. But that would be a good laugh for the game and fish guys. I wonder how many game wardens have gotten ready to snap the cuffs on hunters with Rem 700ML's or Ruger 77ML's, till they got up close.

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Genius / coo coo, is there a difference, really? I think he actually is going to do it. Stay tuned, in a year or so I may have pics to post.

Scott

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott, this tread has given me a few ideas as well and I can envision a simple way to re-engineer the firearms to ML only. There are a lot of different types of firearms that would be of interest to other people like say a Thompson sub gun in 45M/L. This concept would drive the cops and pollies nuts. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
derf,

I personally found the idea intriguing if also "crazy". I cannot wait for him to get started. I will try and get pictures to post during the manufacture. May even go deer hunting with him after he has his "BAR" operational. I will be using a T/C Hawkins .50 cal, though.

Scott