New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opening Day Tomorrow!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Black Powder Season opens tomorrow (Saturday) in Georgia. The weather where I live in the southeast corner of the state is supposed to be cool and dry. I have found a fair amount of acorns around my stand and several scrapes. I will update as the season progresses.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It opens Thursday here in MD. I have 250lbs of apples and 200lbs of corn out in between my two tree stands,not to mention the acorns that mother nature provided.

I am excited!

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the afternoon, I was on the edge of a swamp that forms a funnel between two feeding areas. 5 does decided to walk through. One of them went home with me. I may have seen a buck if I had waited, but it was getting late in the evening, and I like to take a few does each year anyway to help keep the herd size manageable. It was a neck shot at about 45 yards. She never knew what hit her.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smallfish

I am waiting until Friday and Saturday I hunt Cambridge.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
Dale, don't know if you heard my bad news or not. Decided to slip hunt the swamp heading North to where I saw a buck cross the road into that neck of woods to scout a location for next weekend. Found two right side sheds from last year in a place right where the pines met the swamp. Then I heard some crashing around in the pines. I grunted on the grunt call and a nice 8 point stepped out of the brush coming right at me at 20 yards, wind in my face. Nice setup.

I lowered the Lyman Flintlock GPR and looked for a shot. He got spooky and ran off about 20 yards, I grunted again and stopped him, and he turned around, but got spooky again and took off. I grunted again.

Just then to my left a bigger buck stepped out not 12 yards from me. I swung the gun and fired. The humidity must have done something to the powder, because I heard it fizz and then KABAM!

But I didn't hit the deer. Either I flinched between the black powder spark and the ignition or and what I think happened, was looking underneath the disk iron sight right down the barrel, in which case I would have shot under the deer. Needless to say, next week I have a date with destiny. This time with a scope and my 50 cal.

I was beside myself disappointed. This is the second time I have ever missed a deer, and the last one I killed a week after I missed him. I cut my own shirt tail.

ARGH!!!!

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy,

Too bad, but that's muzzleloading. I'll be across the road from you next weekend right back where I was this weekend. You run 'em across the road, I'll shoot 'em.

One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
I'll make you a deal, I'll shoot them, you clean them.

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote