New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the 45 caliber dead again?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just tried to find some sabots for my .45 caliber black diamond TC rifle.It was about impossible.The stores only carry .50 stuff.The .54 caliber is getting hard to find stuff for also.I have about 200 hornady .45 sabots for .357 bullets.I cant find any more of them.I wish there were .45 sabots to use .41 mag bullets.I almost wish I had gotten a .50 to match my others.I have one .45 ,8or 9 .50 calibers and 3 .54 and two ruger old army .45s .I like the .45 with .357 bullets but cant find the sabots again.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 45 is not dead. Mine is a TC renegade with a 32" .458 1-18 twist Green mountain barrel. I am shooting big heavy 475 gr whitworth bullets I pour my self. I won't be running out of bullets for many years. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Gander Mountain if you have one in your area. I can find the 45 and 50 but no 54 for my Hawken, so I went back to roundball...

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any sporting goods store worth shopping at SHOULD carry .45 muzzleloading accessories. i haven't had any trouble finding them, which is good considering that my primary muzzleloader is a .45 Big Grin Also, you may want to consider buying in bulk. I've got a ton of PR dead center sabots for my frontstuffer - enough to last the next decade probably.

gd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, we have no plans for a .45 bullet either. There seems to be such a small market for this that it's cost prohibitive.My apologies.
wapiti7
www.mzldrproducts.com

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some states, like Kansas, almost dictate bullets without sabots because they have minimum diameter bullet requirements. In Kansas you can not shoot a projectile less than .39". That leaves out all of the sabots with the 357 bullets in them. Not an issue with .50 cal.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have been trying to find a Black Powder 45 cal Stainless barrel for my TC Encore but I was told they quit making them. I am wanting to shoot either the Power Belt or Cast lead slip fit like the White Rifles were made to shoot.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede, I've got one but you would have to buy the whole rifle. It's already been de-QLA'd and the ramrod shortened accordingly. ( http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=41674 )

WHUT?

Posts: 371 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
Some states, like Kansas, almost dictate bullets without sabots because they have minimum diameter bullet requirements. In Kansas you can not shoot a projectile less than .39". That leaves out all of the sabots with the 357 bullets in them. Not an issue with .50 cal.

Solve your problems with 45 cal Powerbelts.

I shoot them and they are very accurate in my rifle. A bit fragile over three pyrodex pellets though. Might be best with two if you have big body'd deer.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had problems with .40 caliber bullets blowing apart at high speeds.The .357 hornagy xtp 180 gr bullets held together awesome.They are accurare also.I cant find the hornady .45 caliber sabots for .357 bullets any more.I didnt know if they quit making them or not.

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Give these people a call and get some 45cal sabots.
MMP Sabots,
518 Buck Hollow Lane
Harrison, AR, 72601
Phone: (870) 741-5019
Fax: (870) 741-3104

http://mmpsabots.com/

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
Midway is carrying the Bergara ml barrels for T/C Encores in stainless and brown coated, in .45 and .50, they are better barrels than T/C too.

I shoot the Lee REAL bullet I cast myself over 120 grs of 777. I will never run out.

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Precision Rifle has what you need.

http://prbullet.com/index.htm

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have .45 cal CVA and it shoots the Hornady SST sabot's like a dream. Hornady has them available on their website and so does Midway.

.45 cal SST

I load 110 grains of T7 FFG with these, awesome results.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason is that a .45 with sabots uses a small bullet. Now a .45 round ball does a great job but stuffing a .357 bullet in a sabot is as bad as hunting with a .357 revolver. Bullet choice must be made VERY carefully.
It is easier to use a larger bore with decent bullets made for big game. Too many .357 bullets are made for shooting bad guys or small game and open too fast and others just poke a tiny hole in deer. If they open fast, penetration suffers because the bullets are too light. Speed them up and too much meat is lost.
This is a problem with the .357 Maximum where you either blow a deer to mush or lose it depending on bullet choice. I don't think the sabot makers were making good decisions on the bullets they put in them. Instead of pistol bullets, they should have used .35 rifle bullets.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bfrshooter:
The reason is that a .45 with sabots uses a small bullet. Now a .45 round ball does a great job but stuffing a .357 bullet in a sabot is as bad as hunting with a .357 revolver. Bullet choice must be made VERY carefully.
It is easier to use a larger bore with decent bullets made for big game. Too many .357 bullets are made for shooting bad guys or small game and open too fast and others just poke a tiny hole in deer. If they open fast, penetration suffers because the bullets are too light. Speed them up and too much meat is lost.
This is a problem with the .357 Maximum where you either blow a deer to mush or lose it depending on bullet choice. I don't think the sabot makers were making good decisions on the bullets they put in them. Instead of pistol bullets, they should have used .35 rifle bullets.

You need to go to the Precision Rifle web site. I shoot the .357 dead center bullets in my 45 and 50 cal Muzzleloader's. They are the 195 gr. ones. I have killed every deer I have shot with them with just one shot. I never had to trail a deer over 50 yards. One one occasion, I kill 2 deer with one shot. They were aligned up one behind the other, both recovered within 60 yards of each other.

Sure the .357 bullets for the handgun are not the best for deer hunting but I have seen a few deer taken cleanly with them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only deer I ever shot with a .357 was taken with a 158-grain SWC I cast myself. Taken through both lungs, she ran just about 40 yards. Very much like what all the deer I shoot with my .270 do...

And years ago my father killed a buck at ~70 yards with the same style bullet out of his Dan Wesson. The buck was looking at him, and he shot it in the throat patch. The bullet went thru the neck and out, back in and cut off half the ribs on the left side, then lodged in the left ham. Bullet looked for all the world like a full wadcutter with a knife cut across the nose, and the buck dropped like the whole world fell on him.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems that the .45 question keeps coming up, so we are considering some .45 bullets and accessories as well. Does anyone know if there are really that many guys still shooting a .45? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
.............wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are repeating what I said! You are using good bullets/boolits instead of the wrong ones. A 195 gr .357 is NOT a light, fast opening pistol bullet. Neither is a semi wadcutter. Why do I get such responses when I say the right bullet has to be chosen?
The same goes for all guns. How many of you shoot deer with a 110 gr varmint bullet out of a .300 Weatherby?????? How many shoot deer with ball military ammo?
All I said was that some of the .45 sabots had the wrong bullets in them for the velocity. Things have changed for the better but after poor results, the larger calibers are in more demand. It is nothing more then demand and supply. If nobody wants .45 sabots, the stores will not stock them.
Nowhere did I say the right .357 bullet/boolit will not kill deer.
I tried to answer the nice lady's question as to why they are hard to find. It is because most of you shooting inlines have gone to larger calibers for better bullets.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
bfrshooter, why are you getting your panties all up in a bunch. I don't know if your post was directed at me or someone else, but all I was doing was giving information and my results with .357 bullets from Precision Rifle.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry. It wasn't directed at any one, just my observation of comparing apples to oranges with bullets. It is just so important that I get kind of pushy trying to get it across, but not angry.
Every time we talk bullets, the first thing that comes to mind is a friend of mine. When he lived close I loaded his ammo for his rifles. He bought the bullets, etc. He would not use anything but Ballistic Tips. He told me he didn't want the deer to run when shot. His shots were all close and he only got half a deer every time. The only meat he ever got were the hind quarters and some times the backstraps.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Midsouth shooters supply, Natchez shooters supply,and Midway all have .45 supplies for all of us .45 owners.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 180 gr hornady xtp bullet is alot tougher than all the .40 cal pistol bullets I shot that blew to pieces.I wish theyt had sabots for the 45 to shoot .410 41 mag bullets.That would be even better.I like to use 90-120 grs of powder in my 45 with the 180 gr xtp hornady bullets.My rifle blows the primer out above 120 grs.I need to change from the shotgun primers to small rifle primers they are alot better and my loads are way more accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Love my .45 I have a Remington 700ML, i just tryed some Precision Rifle's QT 180gr and WOW very nice grouping at 50 yards with a 1 power scope i have a 1.5" group and at 100 yards it is 1.75" and about the same hight as 50 yards took a shot at 150 with the same load and with that 1X scope it looked like a postage stamp but was dead ceter in the target just 2" left from bullseye...

I would like to get another .45 ML I dont do much hunting out of state so anothere .45 would be a cool thing for me..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any comment?Anyone?....bueller......bueller......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the reson may also be becouse some states dont alow a .45 cal ML and on top of that alot of people belive in the Biger is better thery and my not want a .45 cal.....Just my thoughts

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just saying to the .45 guys that we were going to be offering some things in .45.
thanks.........wapiti7