Find
Notify
Tools

Flintlocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of m77lewis
posted
Any flinters out there? Here is my baby built by Ron Luckenbill in Emporium, Pa. 54 cal after an 1804 J.P. Beck rifle.

http://www.recreatinghistory.com/

"Peace is that brief glorious moment when everyone stands around reloading." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 25 | Location: Dayton, Pa | Registered: 17 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very nice! My next will be a flintlock! I just need find buyers for both of my White muzzleloaders ha ha

***Update --- White Muzzleloaders are spoken for***

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bugle, if you are serious, PM me. I am always in the market for a White...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Hey Doubless -- You were very helpful when I first received my White Muzzleloaders, and even mailed me some of your cast ammo, and it is appreciated.

Pm Sent

Edit -- My #1967 post! Now I just need to find that Chevelle dancing

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffM
posted Hide Post

My first try at photos. Hope it works.
Not a big game flinter but this svelt .32 is fun and deadly on small game.
Jeff

Never do something once you're not willing to do the rest of your life.
Always hold the door for the other guy.
My African friends understand the world in a way I can only dream of.

Posts: 70 | Location: Rwanda via Indiana | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffM
posted Hide Post
Most importantly your rifle is beautiful. Hope to have something similar soon.
Cheers

Posts: 70 | Location: Rwanda via Indiana | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of m77lewis
posted Hide Post
Jeff, nice looking gun there!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment when everyone stands around reloading." Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of JeffM
posted Hide Post
Thanks. There's a couple interesting large bore flinters on TOW. They are modeled after schools from your neck of the woods. Your rifle is lovely but I'm beginning to lean toward some of the old Germanic (Jaeger) designs. Have you tried them?
Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
as they say "nipples belong on a woman's chest, not a man's rifle..."

I have a fancy TVM Early Lancaster. I wanted a small game rifle, so it is a .40. Toni and Matt build beautiful rifles.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built one of these from parts supplied by T.O.W. Quite challenging (for me) because in involved a lot of inletting, drilling and tapping and filing. Setting up the DST was the most challenging part.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/...int-parts-list_1.jpg

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Caplocks are a passing fad, are unreliable, and useless if you don't have caps; I only shoot flintlocks, and have built many of them. Here are a couple I built last year: first one is a 50 cal Virginia with a curly ash stock; second one is a NW Trade Gun, built as a 54 cal rifle.

Posts: 17126 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
DPCD,

Those are a couple of very nice looking rifles muskets!

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Caplocks are a passing fad, are unreliable, and useless if you don't have caps; I only shoot flintlocks, and have built many of them. Here are a couple I built last year: first one is a 50 cal Virginia with a curly ash stock; second one is a NW Trade Gun, built as a 54 cal rifle.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much.
THEY AREN'T MUSKETS; THEY ARE RIFLES.
Muskets are smooth bore military arms.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
The rifles look great.

It's a shame that English Flint looks so primitive any more. Those are some gnarly looking flints.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Thanks very much.
THEY AREN'T MUSKETS; THEY ARE RIFLES.
Muskets are smooth bore military arms.

My bad, I saw the stocks were of a somewhat brown-bessish style and assumed they were muskets.

....And I should have remembered what often happens when I assume.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles above, I'm not so much into the aesthetics and period correctness just like hunting with one. I have a Lyman GPH that I modified to my liking. Cut off the steel U buttplate and installed a rubber pad, inlaid where the buttplate was on the top with Australian Lacewood, and put on the peep sight to get a longer sight radius and help my eyes.

Wife with Renegade

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big GrinI once set a tree on fire showing a friend how flinters work.I have a .58 zuave rifled musket that I want to convert to a rock lock,if I can find a 'smith that will do serious work on muzzleloaders....,and then a squirrel rifle !!! dancing
(a different gun,not converting the .58 to a tree rat shooter !) rotflmo

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If someone has trouble with follow through with a rifle, best training is with a flinter. If you budge at let-off, you'll shoot the ground in front of you with that lock time :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great pics Tundra. The couple of GPR's I have owned were very accurate. I had the peep sight on my also.

Here's an older picture(more of a greybeard now)of my .62/20ga smoothbore flinter. Use a patched roundball for deer, works good on turkeys in the spring with an ounce of #6 shot as well.

"It's a good day for something"

Posts: 319 | Location: S E Wisconsin | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lewis....gorgeous. Not much else to add.

jeff...being a dedicated limb bacon hunter I find yours immensely appealing!!

dp, that is the first ash stocked rifle I've seen since I sold the one I had 30 years ago, nice.

I have several but no pictures. I haven't replaced them since our old computer got infected with a virus a year or so ago. Reckon I need to do that. There's a fairly nice Jaeger and Virginia rifle in the bunch.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Panzer, I will convert your Zouave to a Flintlock. I can also build you a new rifle in 58 caliber. PM me if you are serious; I assume you are joking.
Oh, thanks for the comments on the ash stock; if you want one, get it now. All the ash trees will be dead in a few years; going the way of the Chestnut and the Elm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right now the ash in our area are still healthy and the borers seem not to have gotten a foothold. Lord help us if they do.

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It won't be long; they are in your neighboring state (here in Iowa) and towns are cutting down all their ash trees before they get infected.

One of Us
Picture of JeffM
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles dpcd. 9.3 I've yet to blood the .32. I thought I would get the chance after deer season but mother nature sent me scurrying for the fire. Maybe next year.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Brown Bess reproduction:

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1809 Baker military rifle 61 caliber shoots a 1.2 oz maxi ball of my design. Killed one fine Elk with it.

75 paces off standing sticks:

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Nice bullet. Have you tried that in a .58 Enfield?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I like that; who made the barrel? Looks like Colerain rifling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd, that's what I was thinking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifle came from The Rifle Shoppe

http://www.therifleshoppe.com/

Not cheap but just wonderful quality repros.

The gun is 61 caliber and really designed for a patched ball. I worked with Lee to design the bullet and their custom mold department made me a 2 cavity mold. I try lube them with LPG and use a 16 gauge empty as a "cookie cutter". +- 90 gr of 2F in the bore over a squirt of 4F from my pan metered flask, Another squirt in the pan and click, hiss, boom. Ballistics about like a 16 ga Brenneke classic slug, less velocity, 20% heavier slug.

If you ever have the chance watch the series Sharpe's Rifles (netflix has it). Features the Green Coated Brits hammering the Frenchies with their Bakers.

Interesting thing about the Baker is that the patched ball was hammered in. There is a statue in London of a Rifleman and his Baker clearly showing the hammer hanging with his kit.

I can load one of either the slug or roundball with a serious starter, After that out comes the big rubber mallet. I have been intending to try a 58 minny in it to see if it would bump up enough to work. They make a .578 one which may be too much bump up to ask but for 30 bucks worth a try and can always sell it on Ebay for a few bucks less.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Colerain rifling

is correct.

They even have a link to the Rifle Shoppe on their site:

http://www.colerainbarrel.com/index.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metalbeater:
quote:
Colerain rifling

is correct.

They even have a link to the Rifle Shoppe on their site:

http://www.colerainbarrel.com/index.html

metalbeater=Larry Root, busted again.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
All the guns posted are very, very nice; great to see fine rifles. For quite some time I've hunted exclusively with flintlocks. I have three percussion rifles but they only see use at the range occasionally.

My recent TVM .50 which I will be trying for a deer with this fall.

This TVM .45 has, over the years, taken most of my deer.

This deer was killed with my .62 smoothbore.

Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

One of Us
Picture of m77lewis
posted Hide Post
Hanshi, beautiful rifles!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that Beck is a beautiful rifle. I have two flinters, a Fusil I had built about thirty years ago, and an Early Lancaster .40 by TCM. I am trying to convince Steve Zihn to build me an early J Hawken.

Any of you all own a David Price swivel breech?
My dream flinter.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote