Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Smokeless
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to buy a muzzleloader that is capable of using smokeless powder. I've seen that Savage makes one. Has anyone had experience with it? I am looking for long range accuracy.

I know that I could get a custom made job for some hefty coin, but I would need to save for a while. Is the Savage a worthwhile buy or should I wait?

Posts: 15 | Location: Kenai, AK | Registered: 12 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Fred1984Bear,

Mine is a M10MKII, and it shoots well -- at least to 100 yards. I have not used it further yet. People routinely shoot them to 200 yards and past.

The NULA rifle is about $1,300 now I think.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I own one, the ML10II.

At 100 it is usually good for 1.5" with a few groups coming in below 1". It will pretty much tear a big ragged hole in the target at 100 Cool

Out at 200 mine is good for around 3". I don't ever shoot it past 200 because I don't intend on using it that far. The accuracy and trajectory is good with HDY 250 Grn SST sabots and 43-44 grns of IMR4759. I use Win 209 primers and often use sub-bases if the temp is over 70. Sighted about 1.75 high at 100 it only drops 4-6 inches at 200 yards. Those listed loads push the 250s from 2250-2300 fps.

My rifle has been loaded, but unprimed in my safe for 10.5 mos. I loaded it after shooting a buck 12/30/06 and never got a chance to remove the charge, just decapped. I'll lay money on the table that I can prime, fire instantaneously, and hit zero at 100 yards. All w/o any corrosion in the bbl or breech plug.

Devastating on whitetails.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage

Go to this link for about all you'd want to learn on the Savage and it's care and feeding.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have shot a savage since they came out,have had four sold 2 and still have two.Just bought a new thumbhole stock one last week.
I shoot some all year with different loads and love the way they shoot,sometimes I get very good groups even at 300 yds.Have taken deer with it the last 4 years from 50 to 234 yds.Last year I shot 3 and the average yds was 196 yds.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys. Apparently it is illegal in Michigan to use smokeless powder during ml season...so I am refocusing my search. Right now leaning towards the TC Triumph, but I'm not sure yet. I handled one yesterday and it was well balanced and light. Seems like many of the others are very front heavy.

Posts: 15 | Location: Kenai, AK | Registered: 12 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fred1984Bear I am also considering buying a 10ml Kept in mind the savage can also shoot black powder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
owensby I am curious have you noticed a differance in accuracy between the muzzeloaders with the composite stock's vs the laminate wood stocks?. Thanks Tony

one of us
posted Hide Post
My older one has the composite stock and the one I just got has the thumhole lam stock.I have shot it much yet with different loads but useing the same load it shoots about the same as the composite.
I did bed the composite but it shot very good before and plan on bedding the thumbhole after hunt season.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, has anybody had any experience loading 4227 powder? We like using the Hornady 250gr. SST sabots bullets, but cannot find any load data for this powder.

Posts: 31 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 25 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I have one and love it, I am a die hard Encore fan and thought I would never get another M/L. But the Savage M/L changed my mind. But I will still keep my T/C Encore Pro-hunter

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As to using smokeless powder in Michigan, do they allow BP subsititutes like Pyordex etc? XMP5744 is a BP substitute and I dare say that any ticket you get will be hard to make stick in court. It is the powder of choice for my ML II anyway. I can get more velocity out of VV N-120 and 300 gr bullets but prefer the lighter recoil of 5744 and 250Hornaday XTP bullets. I don't think you can go wrong with the Savage. Good hunting "D"

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
there was a bill earlier this summer to make smokeless powder legal in a ML here in Michigan.
I don't know if it passed or not. Call your local DNR office

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ABrightling:
Hey, has anybody had any experience loading 4227 powder? We like using the Hornady 250gr. SST sabots bullets, but cannot find any load data for this powder.

Yes.....it sucks for anything less than 300gr
bullets. I'm using the rest of the pound I got
in my .45 Colt. Many are the powders that can
be used in the 10MLII, but 4227 is unreliable
in all but the very tightest bores using 250gr
bullets. As "John S" suggested, go to Doug's
Message Boards, and you will learn answers to
questions that you don't even have, yet.

Our independence is dying.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote