New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 ML
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok so i just got remington 700 muzzy. now i need some suggestions on what loads to try. I'm definately gonna go with pyrodex pellets, probably the 50 gr. i'm thinkin about droppin in 2 pellets under a CVA powerbelt. How does that sound to you guys? Let me know what works good in ur 700 ML. Thanks.

Gun control is hitting your target.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I've heard the Remington does well w/ the power belt but, I haven't personally tried them. The bullets I've had the most succes w/ were the 250SSTs over 4-30 grain pellets or 2 50 pellets.

The 777 pellets didn't ignite well for me in the Remington. The Pyro pellets did outstanding.

Tried the 200 grain shockwaves and had no success.

I hunt w/ someone that uses the 180 45 cal XTPs in the black sabots (HDYs). They shoot accurately for him and he's taken several deer w/ it but, I feel they are a bit light for MLing.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well i decided that i'm going to try the 245 grain powerbelts on top of 2 50gr. pyro pellets. just got some leupold std. mounts and took my VXII off my .270 and put it on there for now. I think i'm going to use my 700ML as much or more than my .270 just for the heck of it. I'm not sure yet. i'll have to see how she shoots this week first. heard the powerbelts are as good as they get for the price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a 700ml for about 8yrs now.I have found a 295gr powerbelt with 100 grains of ff blackpowder to be the most accurate to shoot out of this gun.Penetration on deer isnt all that great with a powerbelt though.At least thats my experience with them.

Posts: 66 | Location: manchester md | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot 2 Rem 700 ML of my own and a bubby shoots one too. We had great luck with 2 50 grain Pyrodex pellets and 250 grain Barnes Expander bullets. On game performance was awesome!! 163bc

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, made it to the range yesterday w/ the 700 and some 223gr. powerbelt aerotips. my friend picked up 777 pellets instead of pyrodex, so i had to use them. the 700 has no.11 cap system, not 209. well, they ignited great every time, no failures. for the most part, the lock time is about the same on my 700 in .270! i was pleasantly surprised. and happy. well i used 2 50gr. pellets and a 223 powerbelt and this is what i got. 3 groups in a row shot the first shot DEAD center, then the next 2 shots stacked on top of each other 1.5 inches left. 3 times in a row. not cleaning in between. whats up with that pattern? dead center first shot, next 2 almost 2 inches left. anyone know what that pattern is about?

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
well, made it to the range yesterday w/ the 700 and some 223gr. powerbelt aerotips. my friend picked up 777 pellets instead of pyrodex, so i had to use them. the 700 has no.11 cap system, not 209. well, they ignited great every time, no failures.

Consider yourself lucky that they ignited for you. We have had heck w/ the 777 pellets and M700s. During my last M700 777 pellet range session w/ them I had about 5-6 misfires and that's w/ 209s and a clear nipple. What drew the line was when one of the guys had a monster 8pt step out broad side and his 700 snapped w/ 777 pellets.

I've never had them misfire in my Knight rifle w/ it's sealed ignition system(Disc Extreme) but, the 700s 209 nipple lets the majority of the primer fire escape the nipple w/o contacting the primer. I would imagine that the #11 system is probably allowing as much fire as the 209 system based on it's closed in design.

If you want to save yourselve a possible huge failure during hunting season, I would steer clear of the 777 pellets in a 700. Now the ff and fff, that's another story...

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a Remington Model 700 MLS for about 5 years or so, and it's standard pet load has been two 50-grain Pyrodex pellets and a 295-grain Powerbelt Aerotip. Ignition is supplied by a #11 cap.

I tried the #209 primer conversion and had more hangfires than I could count, with both Pyrodex and 777 pellets. I also tried the 777 pellets with the #11 cap and had hangfires. #11 caps and Pyrodex pellets go Bang! every time I squeeze the trigger with locktimes as fast as any bolt-action rifle I own.

Accuracy is sterling, with normal groups hovering around 1-1/2" to 2.0" at 100 yards.

quote:
I have been using a 700ml for about 8yrs now.I have found a 295gr powerbelt with 100 grains of ff blackpowder to be the most accurate to shoot out of this gun.Penetration on deer isnt all that great with a powerbelt though.At least thats my experience with them.

I agree with you on the penetration. I have never had a problem finding a deer after the shot, but I would prefer to get more pass-thrus than I have. I bought some 295-grain T/C Shockwaves to try. If accuracy is comparable, I will try them this fall.

Posts: 27 | Location: Abingdon, MD | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason I still shoot Powerbelts is the accuracy I get out of them.Plus they are easy to load in a fowled barrel.I have tried different sabots and after the first shot its almost impossible the get another bullet seated in the barrel.Are all Rem.ML700s like that?

Posts: 66 | Location: manchester md | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not just Remingtons. Everybody I know that loads sabotted loads suffers the same problem, whether in Knights, Traditions, CVA, whatever. I agree with ya, the Powerbelts load easy even after three or four shots. And they are accurate!

Posts: 27 | Location: Abingdon, MD | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a 700 ml since they were introduced and have only found problems with the MMP HPH sabots (like what is equipped with SST and Shockwave bullets). My baseline has been the standard short green sabot coupled with 240 xtp and 120 gr RS or 100 FFG t7. In my gun this load shoots honest 1.5" average groups at 100 and has acounted for 14 whitetail or mule deer. I made the primer switch few years ago and went with the cabela's version not remington. I have had no problems with hangfires with either 777 or pyro (pellet or loose). On the flip side I know many who have with the rem version, switch to the cabela's solves the problems.

If you plan to use #11's and pellets I would stick with Pyrodex, as reloader mentions. Reability is suspect from mine and other rem shooters with 777 pellet and #11.

In all honesty my 700's (3 in total) not been picky shooters. I did give the sst's and barnes expanders a go and they worked well. However at the price of the XTP, plus success in the field I just stuck with what worked.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, just saturday i took mine out again, and it's gettin broken in and is now consistently shooting 3/4" Center-to-center groups. not too bad. That was with 250gr. Shockwaves over 2 777 pellets. still haven't had any hangfires, but almost out of 777 pellets, so will make the switch to pyrodex. Any ideas on the accuracy difference between the two?

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
They both shoot well from my Knight. The 777 leaves a crud ring that I can't hardly scrub out.

Good Luck

Reloader

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beretta9289:
well, just saturday i took mine out again, and it's gettin broken in and is now consistently shooting 3/4" Center-to-center groups. not too bad.

Off-topic

Be sure to remove, clean & lube the bolt-action on those MLs after each use with corrosive powders.

........ Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas" ............

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I completely strip and clean bolt, action, everything...