Find
Notify
Tools

Got Drawn for Iowa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted
I got drawn for the late MZ season for Unit 5 in Iowa. Any suggestions. What is the weather likely to be.

Thanks and God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say COLD! We go the first gun season and sometimes we have lots of snow. Bring a portable blind and set up on their food source if possible.If this is your first time out there, you will be amazed at the antler size. I just about hate hunting in the central part of Mich. Good Luck.

Posts: 559 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Congrats on getting drawn! I'm guessing this is for white tail?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
First time in the Mid-west.

Thanks and yes this is for Whitetail Bucks during the late MZ season. I guess this is for does too because they make you purchase a doe tag for $125 or so when you apply. Didn't really want a doe tag but I understand this is just sound management. Little expensive though compared to does around my house.

Well be hunting the Skunk River area near Brighton.

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats of getting drawn and welcome to our fine state. I live and do most of my hunting in NW Iowa, but have hunted in the unit you drew. The late season is my favorite. I always hope for cold and snow. The colder it is, the easier it is to pattern the deer moving to food sources. A portable blind is good advice. I personally prefer to wear white coveralls along with a white ski mask. Blaze orange is required. Putting a blaze orange vest over the white coveralls doesn't seem to negate their effectiveness on deer. It can be as cold as -20 F. Buy a cheap plastic children's sled to drag your deer out through the snow. On the other extreme there might not be any snow so bring your regular camo as well. The late season gets better each day and the last day is the best. The reason is that the deer get pushed pretty hard during the two preceeding shotgun seasons. Once the shotgun seasons are over the deer slowly calm down and become less wary as time goes by. Have a great time and please don't let your doe tag go unfilled. Iowa has the HUSH (help us stop hunger) program. If you don't want the meat from a deer you can take it to one of the approved lockers for no charge. The locker will process the deer and the meat will go to good use. Enjoy your hunt!

steve nelson

Posts: 148 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Thanks simangus, Now that is a bunch of useful information. I especially like the sled and had not even thought about my snow camo or all white.

God Bless, Louis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, inline muzzleloaders, sabots, and scopes are legal during Iowa's late muzzleloader season. Handguns are legal too. Handguns are limited to straight-walled cartridges with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches. The Iowa regs list which cartridges are allowed. I sometimes carry a revolver as a backup for my muzzleloader, but seldom if ever need it.

steve nelson

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
simangus, WOW! Didn't know that handguns were allowed! When do they send out regulations and tags? Do the MZ's have any trouble in the colder weather?

Thanks again, Louis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Louis, I don't know when they send out regulations and tags. As a resident, I am able to purchase all my hunting licenses locally through any electronic licence agent. The regulations are available online. Just do a search for Iowa DNR and then look for hunting regulations. The trick to hunting with a muzzleloader in cold weather is once you take it outside into the cold never take it back into a warm building or vehicle unless you are going to clean it completely. The moisture condensation will ruin your powder charge. I load mine and then leave it in a hard case in the back of my pickup truck. It will shoot reliably even after a couple of weeks. To be legal for transport in a vehicle you just have to remove the primer or percussion cap and have it in a case. Steve

steve nelson