New
Find
Notify
Tools

stuck breech plug
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK, now that I can't get the breech plug out, it got me to wondering..... why take it out at all? I mean, why does it really matter if it just stays in there permanently?

Any and all reasons would be appreciated.

Posts: 109 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
What rifle are you referring to?

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
My first inline had a non-removable Breech-plug. I still have it and it still shoots descently. I just remove the nipple and clean it thoroughly as well as clean the barrel thoroughly.

I much prefer the removable plugs for getting a more thorough cleaning but, It will work just as well as the older style of MLers if you can't get the plug out.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a T/C Omega. Synthetic stock, blue barrel.

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
Problems.

The Omega breechplug has an unthreaded nose that traps fouling-- a good way to rust your barrel.

Omega breechplugs erode, and are designed to be replaced. Accuracy will suffer. Independent test show flash hole erosion from .029 to .037 in. or so within 100 shots.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you shooting 777? Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm going to put the gun in a vise and get out my breaker bar to remove the damned thing.

Yes I am shooting 777.

I,ve also got the "ring" thing about where the bullet gets seated. The only way to shoot it more than once without cleaning is to put the ramrod against something hard and push like hell. Are there any sulfer-free powders that won't foul so bad?

On a good note, it shoots about 2" groups at 100 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Renegade with a Green Mountain Barrel. I tried 777 but my Nipple was getting stuck, the clean out hole for the snail was getting stuck, and I was using breech plug grease!
I was also getting a "crud ring" tight where the bullet met the powder. I could not use a spit patch so i used a brush. I wqas getting lead out of the barrel. I quit using 777 and went back to Pyrodex RS. My groups got smaller and I don't have ANY problems with anything sticking. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I lube my Omega's breech and have never had a problem. I use 777 and Pyrodex both. I have removed some stuck breechplugs for friends though and it is a bitch. The worst one I drilled out. I have got them with stud extractors though

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
if you use remingtons klean bore 209 primers,made expressly for muzzleloaders,you wont get the carbon ring anymore.also,when you get that breech plug out,grease it before you put it back in,they come out easier.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I use teflon tape on my breech plugs. Not near as messy as grease and works like a charm. I had a nipple stick on me so I switched to the tape on the nipple threads and the plug. Haven't stuck one since. I keep a roll in My Mler box.

Be sure not to let the tape get in front of the flash hole, only put the tape on the threads and it only takes one wrap.

Good luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LeeH
posted Hide Post
Reloader,

Excellent idea, and a good use for all of the partial rolls of teflon tape we all have in the garage.

Lee

Posts: 87 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy Wakeman: I'd like to hear more about accuracy effects from an eroded flash hole, if you would.

Are the Encore breech plugs similar to the Omega breech plugs, as far as being susceptible to erosion? Thinking back, the groups I'm getting from my Encore are still good, but not as good as a few years ago when it was new and I'd estimate I've put 300-400 rounds through it, usually 100 grains 777. I haven't changed breech plugs.

Time to change it?

"No one but he who has partaken thereof can understand the keen delight of hunting in lonely lands."

Posts: 59 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are the Encore breech plugs similar to the Omega breech plugs, as far as being susceptible to erosion? Thinking back, the groups I'm getting from my Encore are still good, but not as good as a few years ago when it was new and I'd estimate I've put 300-400 rounds through it, usually 100 grains 777. I haven't changed breech plugs.

Time to change it?

As Doc White noted a long, long time ago-- all breechplug flash holes erode. Muzzleloaders, as a broad generality, don't shoot a great deal . . . even less measure new flash hole diameter, and again after a few hundred rounds.

Yes, the std. Encore (not the ProHunter) and Omega breechplugs are the same. Absolutely I'd spin in a new breechplug.

You'll likely find a comparison between 'new' flash hole diameter and your old breechplug interesting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use White's Super Blue Breech Plug Grease and screw my breech plug in with the straight wrench and my fingers. Never crank down on the wrench with the T handle. I've never had a stuck breech plug. I tried teflon tape and found it worked ggod but hard to remove when cleaning.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a copper base anti seize compound on everything from nipples to spark plugs. Some of that plug grease is only that---grease.
The teflon tape is a good idea.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
You can also use ani-seize compound for choke tubes. Bottom line is you need to put something on the threads or eventually you will run into trouble.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the regular never sieze (sparingly) on all breach plugs and choke tubes and have never had a problem.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote