Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hydracon Conicals
 Login/Join

posted
I found a legal bullet for a Colorado elk hunt for my Knight .52 .. Just wondering if anybody has any experience or knowledge about it that would be helpful. It is made by Parker Bullets and is a Hydrocon conical at 530 Gr. It is a pure lead conical. I will be shooting at the range next week with them to see how they preform there.

Mark

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Good luck with them, and please post your results here!

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well here it goes. These were the first conicals I have ever shot so I had no idea what to expect. I shot them into a 30 gallon 1/8" wall plastic container which was full of water. I loaded the Knight 52 cal. with 150 grains of 777 using the forward fire breech plug. At 50 yards the first shot hit the back side of the container hard enough to make a small dimple and broke into pieces. The main piece retained approx 60% of its weight. Second shot, same container with the lids back in place, no dimple on the back side, much better weight retention, approx 85%. The only similiar thing I have to compare the bullets to is a 295 grain hollow point copper coated powerbelt shot from a 50 cal TC, and believe me there was not much difference in the end result. The gun was much harder to clean after the lead shots, guess thats just part of lead in the barrel. I normally shoot a Barnes 375 grain bullet with sabots and it is very easy to clean. That particular bullet in another water container retained 100% of its weight and was a perfect mushroom. It hit the back of the container and lodged but did not go through. Maybe I am shooting to hot of a load with the lead or something else, not sure. I had posted here before about flyers, but have solved that problem and am shooting very well with the load.

Mark

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I've never shot a 52 caliber so I'm kinda talking out of my hat here, but 150 grains I think might be a little on the steep side of acceptable. If it groups for you then fine, but you might want to try something in the 90-130 grain range if you want to try closing up your group.

Again, just conjecture based on no practical experience with your gun.

Also, out of curiosity- do you know what diameter your bullets measure out at?

I'm glad they are working so far!

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
I am going thru this process myself and Tony Knight recommended 100-110 grains of 777 as a good load behind a Hydracon

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Guess I should have reported after I did a little more studing, sorry. SempreElk you are correct in regards to the Hydracon. I just didnt shoot many of them and never really looked into it. I am shooting the Barnes Red hot only.

Mark