New
Find
Notify
Tools

Encore Breech Plug Change-out
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any experience with the encore breech plug that precision muzzeloading offers? http://www.prbullet.com/hornet.htm
I am thinking of geeting this in the .25ACP. I am having a lot of flyers with the 209 in both my encore and my apex even when backing the charges down.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I have them on my Encore muzzleloaders. I am getting very accurate groups with them and triple7 powder. Also no crud ring. They work good for me.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the .25ACP breechplug for my T/C Omega. It does not seem to affect accuracy at least comparing Winchester 209 primers to Winchester rifle primers (which is what the .25ACP conversion uses). Rifle primers that is; I decided to use the same brand Winchester; Mainly because I had some. It does almost eliminate the 777 crud ring. I would say in my case it is 80% better. There is still a little of it in there.

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I cant see why anyone would want to decrease the ignition from 209s to small pistol primers especially, if using 777 pellets as propellant. Some folks have trouble lighting the 777 pellets w/ the 209s.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Note the .25ACP uses small RIFLE primers not small pistol primers. I have not heard of anyone having a problem with rifle primers which are a lot hotter than a standard percussion cap. Anyone that cannot ignite 777 with a 209 primer has some other problem.

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Salixco: Just for grins; what 209 primer are you using? I have just received some infomation that CCI primers may be a cause for accuracy problems. I had not thought about it but after it was mentioned to me I checked some of my data and I was getting good groups with Winchester 209s and I switched to CCI 209s and the groups opened up a lot. More testing needed.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Note the .25ACP uses small RIFLE primers not small pistol primers. I have not heard of anyone having a problem with rifle primers which are a lot hotter than a standard percussion cap. Anyone that cannot ignite 777 with a 209 primer has some other problem.

The 209s are much hotter than the small rifle primers. It seems silly to change and have to go through all of the hassles associated w/ the small pistol brass but, to each his own.

FYI lots of folks have had trouble igniting the 777 pellets w/ the 209s.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The main reason most are converting is to eliminate or at least improve "777 crud ring" that many are experiencing. I know some don't have it but a lot do. Seems to possibly go along with the 300gr. or heavier bullets and 209 primers. I doubt that the accuracy will change much but the fouling certainly does expecially with 777 powder. There may be a breechplug face configuration that also contributes to the problem. Flat face plugs may be part of the problem.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Yea, it seems like a dome type plug would be better.

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

The 209s are much hotter than the small rifle primers. It seems silly to change and have to go through all of the hassles associated w/ the small pistol brass but, to each his own.

FYI lots of folks have had trouble igniting the 777 pellets w/ the 209s.

Good Luck!

Reloader

I used 209 primers for years, I never had a problem with them and triple7. In fact I have not had a problem with the 25ACP with small rifle primers and triple7. And it is very easy to grab 25ACP brass, than those small 209 primers. But like you said, to each his own. If you like 209's, more power to you. I will stick with my 25ACP's. Don't knock them tell you tried them.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Salixco: Just for grins; what 209 primer are you using? I have just received some infomation that CCI primers may be a cause for accuracy problems. I had not thought about it but after it was mentioned to me I checked some of my data and I was getting good groups with Winchester 209s and I switched to CCI 209s and the groups opened up a lot. More testing needed.

I have used them all, CCI Win Rem Fed and even tried some old 157 shotgun primers I had in my box. I have shot every powder Pyrodex, GOEX, Clean Shot Clear Shot White Shot, name it I've tried it. I have been shooting blackpowder and muzzleloaders since 1980 when I got my first renegade. I bought one of the first 209X50 Encores in my state. So I have been shoooting it a while. It was accurate the first year then it freaked out, so I started using Hoppes #9, Kroil, JB Bore Brite, and FP 10 to clean and preserve. Got the accuracy back, but it still is fairly inconsistent. One thing I do know is that the natural lube/water based cleaners will not remove plastic fouling, and if you shoot enough you know what I mean.

I see the worst accuracy when using shotgun primers of any kind and since my main focus is to kill big whitetails, (I don't get up at 2:00AM and sit in a tree all day for comeraderie sp. or nostalgia) I want to be confident that I am going to be accurate when he steps out, which may only be once for a few seconds.

If the primer doesn't help, I am seriously thinking of rigging my renegade with a peep and a front bead, and shooting the round balls.

Main thing is I want to hear peoples opinions on this breech plug system. I am going to try it, its only $60.00.