Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Omega issues
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Guys and gals. This Friday will be my first ML elk season in CO clap. Thus, my first experience with MLs. I would appreciate a little help.

TC Omega 1:28 twist

I just spent 3 days trying to get it sighted in (I started with too much powder=100gr+ with no luck). I want to use the heavier conicals, so I was able to get a 2" group with the Precision Rifles 450gr/90gr solids, but I ran out of them before I could dial in the sights.

So, I went to the TC 320gr/90gr Maxiballs. Sighted in, and ready to go. But...I'm concerned that they won't be enough lead for a bull elk. What are your opinions?

Second. Do you leave your barrel fouled, while hunting, for the entire week? Will the barrel be OK for that long without cleaning it? Do you fire it every evening back in camp?

Third. How many speedloaders/rounds do you like to carry with you?

Fourth. Does electrical tape work fine on the end of the barrel? vs. balloon.

Fifth. Would leaving the jag on the end of the rod be a bad idea?

Thanks

Posts: 6 | Location: CASTLE ROCK, CO | Registered: 12 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blue:
So, I went to the TC 320gr/90gr Maxiballs. Sighted in, and ready to go. But...I'm concerned that they won't be enough lead for a bull elk. What are your opinions?
I wouldn't aim for heavy shoulder bones on purpose but it ought to do.

quote:
Second. Do you leave your barrel fouled, while hunting, for the entire week? Will the barrel be OK for that long without cleaning it? Do you fire it every evening back in camp?
Interesting question. If your inline requires fouling to shoot well then you need to clean it every evening. If it doesn't and all you're fouling it with is a 209 before loading it the first day there is no cleaning to do, neither need you unload it at the end of the day, except to remove the primer to make it safe and legal for transport.

quote:
Third. How many speedloaders/rounds do you like to carry with you?
I carry three or four but have never used more than one and have never taken the second shot in the field so I end up shooting or pulling the charge at 30 minutes past sunset.

quote:
Fourth. Does electrical tape work fine on the end of the barrel? vs. balloon?
Never tried balloons but tape works fine and comes in darker colours.

quote:
Fifth. Would leaving the jag on the end of the rod be a bad idea?
I do on my Encore 209x50 barrel - a short button jag that is, not the long factory extension - with no difficulties.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure about your Omega but mine does not like most conicals. I can get reasonable results with Powerbelts (heavier is better so try the big ones). The newer platinum ones are supposed to perform better on game than the older copper coated ones. I have shot elk with copper aerotip powerbelts and had complete pass through if no heavy bone is hit. I am trying some other rifles for elk (White T-Bolt and Knight KRB7) they are better conical shooters.

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
MLkeith, what grain powerbelts do you suggest? I thought about the 444gr one for Elk

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot the 348gr. ones with good results. I have not tried the heavier one as it was not available anywhere that I could find when I was setting up for the hunt. I was using 300gr. sst bullets in sabot and then using a 295gr. powerbelt for follow-up shot if required. (same POI in my rifle). After having elk walk off with two 300gr. passthroughs I decided to go with heavier bullets and shoot for the shoulder. Now if I could just draw a tag????

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote